student loans

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shelby, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Shelby

Shelby Well-Known Member

Anybody had any luck with getting defaulted student loans removed from credit report if you pay in full all at once instead of rehabilitating them? I may have the money to do this in the near future so was wondering if i should wait to do that or go ahead and set up a rehabilitation payment plan.

2. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Shelby,

It depends on your Loan Agency. For Example, my student loans defaulted. They filed a claim with the Federal Gov't. I rehabilatated my loans, it took me one year. True to their word, they removed all default information, and all late pay notations. Is your loans with your Gaurantor or Collection Agency?

3. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Shelby,

It depends on your Loan Agency. For Example, my student loans defaulted. They filed a claim with the Federal Gov't. I rehabilatated my loans, it took me one year. True to their word, they removed all default information, and all late pay notations. Is your loans with your Gaurantor or Collection Agency?

4. Steve A

Steve A Guest

It is tricky because there are so many different agencies who are reporting on you. I mean the original lender, the guarantor, the servicer for the original lender, possibly the department of education, and, of course, the collection agency the guarantor assigned the loans too. Each is an independent entity. I would pay the whole thing off in 12 regular installments if I were you except leave a balance of maybe 400.00 for consolidation, which you could pay off any time after the consolidation.

5. Shelby

Shelby Well-Known Member

they are with a collection agency I think. I wanted to negotiate a settlement in exchange for removal of the default from my credit without having to make one year of payments....wanted to pay it lump sum.

6. tessa

tessa Guest

From what I have read, they won't negiotiate a settlement since its a student loan.
    So if they do negiotiate with you, please post about it.

7. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

I recently went through this with Plato Education Loans (Wells Fargo). I paid them in full with a verbal agreement that they would remove all negative reports on my credit reports. They lied. After I paid in full (with penalties) they reported to all CRA's that the loan had defaulted and was not paid. After fighting with them for months, they finally sent me a letter agreeing to remove all negative info but told me to deal with the CRA's. That was December 15. Transunion just fixed it, but Experion and Equifax are still dragging their feet. Morals of the story: Get it in writing before you pay off the loan; and never deal with Plato or Wells Fargo.