Success! K-Mart Master Card!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Jul 11, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

My husband and I were afraid to have any more inquiries, yet we needed the credit, so today we decied to just go for it and see what happens! I hit "submit" , closed my eyes and prayed!!

The credit union turned us down for a Visa today, and probably for refinancing our van, however...

He got a K-Mart MC, don't know the limit, but if any of you read my post earlier, you know we needed a card to guarantee his laptop for DeVry. (they made an exception today and allowed a friend to use his visa). In 7-10 days they can swipe our own card!

I did not put my name on the app because my score is so low, do you think he can add me later?

Also applied for Home Depot, no answer, letter in 7-10 days. Home Depot has been a positive on hubby's cr because someone put him on their account when he did remodeling work for them. We'll see if Home Depot realizes that, hoping it will help!

Thanks to everyone! I look forward to being able to help others with my experiences as I improve our credit!!

Terri

2. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

My experience with the Kmart MasterCard (by Capital One) is borderline amusing. (Ok, maybe amusing only to borderlines, but I digress.)

I was approved in March for a $500 non-Kmart / $700 Kmart credit line (the total line was $500, but if I buy something at Kmart, they allow $200 overage, LOL). That by itself is kinda funny. I basically used the card for gasoline, dinner at Big Boy, small stuff, which I paid off every single month without fail for three months. Two weeks ago I noticed that they raised my credit line to $2000 non-Kmart / $2200 Kmart (woo-hoo, I still get that extra two hundred smackers at Kmart -- go WILD!). I telephoned them to make sure this wasn't an error (dumb yet inscrutably honest me). Nope, it wasn't. "The way you use your card resulted in the increase, sir." I don't know if I discovered the motherlode secret of getting automatic LOC raises, but in this case I was astounded that they raised my line by a factor of FOUR.

That's my Kmart MasterCard story, and I'm stickin' by it. Hope it's helpful to somebody out there.

Randy
    Father of Two
    Devoted Husband
    And Livin' Wild at Kmart

3. PsychDoc

As a postscript to my previous message, I have to say that I have had fun with this Kmart card, saying stuff to cashiers like, "Well, I know you're going to be impressed by this. Some of your customers may have platinum cards, but [as I whip it out] I'm living it up with my Kmart Gold Card!"

Time to get a life, I know.

Randy

4. OtherTerri

Randy,

You are hilarious! I really enjoyed reading about the wild life you are livin' at KMart! Hopefully, it will go that well for us, too!

Terri

PS

Do you let your wife and kids in on the fun...

Or is this your secret life?

5. OtherTerri

Randy,

What kind of credit di you have when you got the card? I am afreid we will get the $50 limit.

Terri
    Mother of 6
    Tired wife
    Soon to be looking for the golden flash of Randy's card st K-Mart

6. PsychDoc

Hehe, Terri, well at the time my Kmart MasterCard was issued, I hadn't yet begun credit repair. My FICO score with Equifax was 564. (In other words, pretty bad -- something like 96% of America had better credit than I did, lol.) Don't forget to post here what kind of LOC they issued you!

Randy

7. making

making Well-Known Member

sweet terri! that has got to feel good! Hmmm. If I hadnt just opened so many accounts I think I'd try my luck as well, but I think I'll wait a while.

-scott

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

What CRA are they pulling for this card? Equifax?

9. OtherTerri

Thanks for all the info and encouragement! It definitely feels good!

I will post the loc when it arrives.

Now I'm waiting to see if Home Depot is approved....

Terri

10. OtherTerri

Randy
    I got this card in my husband's name. My credit score would make your 564 look really good!
    Terri

11. OtherTerri

Called today to ask the loc: $200 Kmart, $100 elsewhere. I know most people think this is pathetic, but what's really pathetic is that we are happy with it
    !

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I'M HAPPY FOR YOU...BUT IF I GOT A $200 CREDIT LINE, I WOULD HAVE TO ASK THEM HOW CAN I BUY ANYTHING ELSE THE OTHER 30 DAYS IN THE MONTH????

13. PsychDoc

Congratulations, Terri! :) Yep, gotta love those low credit lines, hehe. Well, if my experience counts for anything, lol, I would advice charging about $75 per month on that card, taking special care not to go overlimit, then pay it off completely each month. Paying the minimum won't do it, I think. Four to six months later, I'll bet you'll see a $1000-2000 line of credit magically appear on your statement. Keep us posted!!! :)

Randy

14. OtherTerri

George,
    With 6 kids, it's hard not to spend $200 a day!! Money slips through my fingers like water...

Randy,

Thanks for the lessons from your personal experiences with K Mart!

Terri

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I THINK YOU MISS UNDERSTOOD...UNLESS MY COMPREHENTION IS OFF (SINCE MY 20-40 HOURS/WEEK OF O.T. IS GONE...I'M LOST)...I could spend $200/day @ TARGET...

DAY 1 SPEND $200
    DAY 2-31 SPEND $0...NO CREDIT LINE LEFT...

16. PsychDoc

GEORGE THAT'S WHY YOU WOULD USE A DIFFERENT CARD ON THOSE DAYS

Randy :)