Success with Providian Via PFB?????

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by LoFico, May 26, 2001.

1. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

I was denied a Providian card recently. I wrote a letter last night to them via Planet feedback. Has anyone here had success in getting them to reconsider an app after writing them?

2. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

Lo Fico, I'm doing a similar thing via Planetfeedback with Providian and I'll let you know my status (if I hear from everyone). I applied for the new getsmart card (already have an Aria) to which I was "invited" and they gave me the getsmart version of the Aria card I already have, $500 limit, $89 annual fee, 23.99% APR and NO grace period. I wrote them via PFB to say how pissed I was that I've a great relationship with them for almost two years, I always pay on time, I keep a balance, my credit limit os over $5000 and shouldn't I qualify for a little more than the crappy classic getsmart card? I said I wanted a platinum card. They extended me that much credit ($5000) on the Aria Persona, why not in the form of a platinum card. I've been told by a rep that I should be reaping the benefits of a 9.9% APR, no annual fee and a 25-day grace period due to my excellent history with Providian, but because I already had a Persona card, I was locked into it. How funny that when I apply for a getsmart card, I get the exact same deal. So I wrote them about it. Will keep you updated...

3. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

What was your cl when you first got the persona card? How was your credit at the time. I'm hoping for an unsecured card with them. I had some good success with Cap One last week and just want to stay on a roll till I have all the cards I need. If I have to go the secured route, I will. Do you have any experience in that area? Thanks for your help.

4. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

My credit was pretty crappy when I got the card, so I was happy to get the initial $500 limit regardless of the $89 annual fee. The four-month teaser rate of 0% APR was quite ok too. Capital One is also a good one to go with. I have a charge-off with them and they approved me for a partially secured card. If I were you, I wouldn't dare to go secured. It's a waste. Try Capital One secured...(even though it's not really) you can even apply online...

www.capitalone.com

You'll probably get what most of us get, either $49 or $99 deposit for a $500 limit, and a fixed rate of 19.6%. It's not that bad; you're not totally secured, your money earns great interest (mine earns 3% which in this current market, isn't all bad), and I've been told that after a year you will be reassessed for an unsecured card and a better interest rate. I hit the 1 year mark with mine next month so I can only hope. Besides, Capital One has Mr. Miller, so it can't be bad. Try it. Good luck!