Suckered into applying for credit card...then rejected!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by madjohn, Nov 5, 2008.

1. madjohn

madjohn New Member

I was called by my bank twice, first time I declined to apply, because I knew my credit was shaky. The second time, they claimed that they had done a check into my background that I 'likely would qualify'. Based on this, I accepted the offer.

So they did an inquiry on my credit (which will show up on my report) and I was still rejected for the card!

This has me hopping mad, so I'm wondering what I can do about it. I have considered small claims against the bank, but I think I don't have enough document evidence to show that I was made a bad faith promise.

I have complained to the bank itself, and they basically said 'thanks for your input'. I would like to complain to some ombudsman, or some other authority (in Canada - BC to be precise).

What do you think? Isn't this a dishonest practice - to call up people who they know to have insufficient credit, and then damage their credit rating further by encouraging them to apply for credit they can't get?

2. jjgross

jjgross Well-Known Member

You did the smart thing the first time knowing your credit was shaky.The second time the key word from the bank was likely,however the other shoe is you could be unlikey to qualify.you might try a good will letter.If nothing happens it's time to say adios to your bank.You don't need them.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Canadian law, nor do most of us here.

However, at least in the US, they get a list from the CRAs of people who meet a certain criteria--maybe x number of accounts with a certain length of history and no chargeoffs or something.

It is no guarantee that you will get an account.

4. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

There were no gaurantees intimated.