Taking care of a hospital bill now in collections

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sicily, Jul 24, 2008.

1. sicily

sicily New Member

I've been doing a lot of researching and reading and basically want clarification on a few things and steps.

March of 2006 in New Orleans had to go to the emergency room for a broken leg. I thought my insurance covered it and never received any notices of bills. Never knew it was an issue until just now when I pulled up my credit report. Please remember that this was 6 months after Katrina - mail was shoddy at best.

I see an $11,000 emergency room bill that has gone to collections as of April 2007. I'm now trying to see what options I have.

I don't even know who to call first. I just know NOT to call the CA. Although now that I gave my phone # when I requested my reports there is a 1-800 number that calls me daily.

If my insurance never received the bill, is it too late to even file a claim? Should I call them first or call the hospital? I'm thinking that the course of action is to call the hospital to request a copy of the bill and the medical chart and do an audit. And try to get this bill dwindled down to something feasible (assuming insurance is now out of the picture)

Once I have a revised bill (if possible) can I now set up a payment plan with the hospital, bypassing the CA? And can I incorporate a PFD letter with a payment plan?

If I pay the bill in full will a PFD completely remove the hit from my report or will it show up as late but paid in full lengthening the bad mark on my report.

I know, a lot of questions and scenarios. Hopeful that this isn't that unusual.

TIA

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I'd call your insurance company and talk to them. I don't know how long you have to file a claim, but see what they say.

If they aren't willing to consider it, then do what you suggested.