Target and Mervyn's

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kevinw01, Sep 4, 2001.

1. kevinw01

kevinw01 Well-Known Member

Hello There,

I had a Mervyn's account in the past and had a problem with them before they became retailers national bank anyways I apply for the Mervyn's card and it was decline at the store cause of a previous that was not in good standing.... should I even try to apply for the Target card and waste an inquiry my fico is like 702 with experian..... I don't see the Mervyn's account on any of the credit bureaus but I think they have their own black list..... do you think I should try anyways for the Target card especially they are going to swith it over to the visa card soon..... please advice....

Thanks,

Kev

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Kev,

Probably your old records transferred when Retailers assumed Mervyn's accounts. Any outstanding balances would have to be paid before future credit could be established.

I once had an account with Broadway and they went out of business. At the time, I had closed my account and thought my balance was zero.

Macys took over most of the Broadway stores and Broadway customers received Macy's cardes. Since my account had been canceled, I assumed that was the reason I didn't get one.

Anyway, back in April. I applied for a card with Macys and they pulled up my old Broadway account. It was showing a $35 chargeoff.

I couldn't believe it! Macys couldn't really prove I owed the debt and I couldn't prove I didn't. My Broadway account had been closed about 12 years ago and I hadn't saved any records. There was nothing showing on my credit reports.

Since I wanted to establish a good relationship with Macys, I went ahead and paid the $35. In exchange, Macys gave me an account with a $300 limit and I'm sure I'll be able to work my way up on that.

Take care and I hope this helps.

Donna

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Just wondering...WHO did you pay?

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

The $35.00???

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

George,

I paid the thirty-five bucks to Macys. Apparently they purchased all of Broadway's old accounts.

Donna

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

That's nice that you have a 702 on Experian I think Target pulls Equifax now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

Target is the only one that's pulled Equifax on me.

Deb
    Damn it!