Target card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by renae, May 29, 2000.

1. renae

renae Guest

I applied for the Target card online and received the message "needs more processing" so I did not get an online approval. Does this probably mean that I won't be approved? Why wouldn't it let me know right away? I do have horrible,(very) credit but am working on it. I do have 2 secured cards in good standing and nothing derrogatory in at least 1 year. I do have owe some back taxes which probably does appear on the credit report but wouldn't this have prevented me from even getting a secured card? Are the back taxes the reason why I wasn't approved instantly? I also applied for gasoline cards in recent months and was not approved.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Jeanine Li

Jeanine Li Guest

I think that it could be that the computer at Target was broken and that is why you couldnt get a approval at this time but hang in there. sometimes it helps to be patient. My credit is so bad and still I have a providian visa classic with $1500 limit and I just sent off an offer from First Premier for a Silver card and don't even have to pay the $200 processing fee up front! And it is a one time fee only so it is definitely a good deal especially since i have many other worries in my financial life. I hope you get that Target card and when you do treat yourself to something special. They have great clothes and i know you will get a great deal. Ask about there 10% discount on first time charges because as I recall before I stop paying on my target card they do. I still have a $620 charge off from them but they have never even harrassed me or anything so they are defintely a good company to deal with. Good luck!

3. Barry N -

Barry N - Guest

Renae,

I would suggest you get a copy of all three credit reports. So you can actually know where you stand. Dealing from the strength of knowledge is better than wandering blindly through the credit mine field.

If you are really wanting to rebuild a credit history, we have always felt it was better to get a couple of visa/Master cards. These cards are accepted anywhere, including Target. We also feel its better to wait for the dept. store and gas cards to come to you for your business before you apply. In my opinion, 2-3 visa sub prime cards are a better positive trade line, than a visa card & 3 revolving accounts. But, that's just my opinion.

And off the topic, but relevant... Many of those offers you see at instant credit booths in stores will have fine print: "We may issue a temporary credit line with proof of your visa/MC, but reserve the right to verify your credit history by requesting proof from the credit reporting agencies." I have been given instant credit and denied permanent status because of this clause. So be sure to read the fine print.

In my experience the easiest to get was at WARDS. They just took my DL number and gave me an instant line.

Good Luck,

BarryN

4. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

You were likely denied. I did the same thing recently and got the same message, since I have pretty bad credit too. Those on-line systems are done via computer and reject applications very easily.

Call the credit department and tell them you want the "long form" credit application sent to you. Reapply via mail, referencing your prior application (enclose the rejection letter so they won't re-run your credit!!) and they will look at income, etc. and reevaluate your credit.

5. renae

renae Guest

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful suggestions and advice! I appreciate it!

6. C

C Guest

I got the very same message online that you did, and thought, "oh no, my credit has even gotten me denied at Target." But lo and behold, my card came 2 weeks later with a $500 limit, and I have two charge-offs on my report. I guess it's only the luck of the draw!

7. renae

renae Guest

C: Thanks for those words of encouragement! So you didn't have to do anything else after the online application and you just got it? Were you waiting for the reject letter?