target guest card -easy to get?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by holis, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

It's not that Dept. stores are easier, as I have been turned down by Citgo, Home Depot and others due to my past bk.

And this was a time when Cap 1 and Providian extended me credit.

It's not like the Dept. stores are doing us a favor with their high APRs and low CL.

Like everything with credit you will just have to do research as to which are more friendlier with sub-perimers.

It's much believed here that 1 Dept. cc is part of the FICO model.

Best regards,
    Mirage

2. paw67

paw67 Well-Known Member

I applied for the Target guest card and was approved for a $200 limit (didn't go for the visa at the time because I didn't think I had a chance. Decided to check my FICO score and found I had a 694 (prior to that it was a 599) so I decided to apply for the visa. Approved for the visa with a $700 limit. I know it isn't much but I shop at Target a lot so the 2 cards will come in handy along with the 10% coupons.

paw67

3. thickman66

thickman66 Well-Known Member

Kool beans!!! I just got my wife and mom a target guest card this week.

4. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: Re: target guest card -easy to get?

Looks like Target Visa is still in a tight CL mode. When I applied in 2001 with a BK-13 on file and a FICO of 650ish I was approved with a 6K CL. Since than I have only gotten one CLI ($900.00) in 2002.

Best regards,
    Mirage

5. GoreyGirl

GoreyGirl Well-Known Member

Re: Re: target guest card -easy to get?

Please folks--what IS a Target Guest Card? I never heard of it before this board.

I don't go out shopping much but prefer Target when I do. I would like to give my business to them over most other stores and wish they would take this into consideration.

BTW, hubby and I have FICOs ranging from 603 to 687, depending on the bureau.

6. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: target guest card -easy to get?

The Target Guest Card is aTarget store credit card. The APR is high and the CL is very low.

Best regards,
    Mirage

7. GoreyGirl

Re: Re: Re: target guest card -easy to get?

Thanks! I think next time I'm there with my husband we might just stop by and ask for one. As he has only one open TL and I have none, it can't hurt.

8. catnap1972

catnap1972 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: target guest card -easy to get?

FYI...got a whopping $100 increase yesterday via the automated phone system.

9. jambe

jambe Well-Known Member

I had low 600's when I got my Target guest card. Had applied for Visa but was given $200 gueast card instead. I have used it regularly every month. After I think 6 months they raised limit to $300, then another 3 months or so to $500. Now after a year it is up to $700. They have not offered to convert it to Visa though.

My mother had a guest card for over a year that she never really used. One day they sent her a Visa card and told her it had been converted, or somthing like that. $2k limit. Not bad for something she didn't try to get...

10. ACX

ACX Well-Known Member

They had an offer a few months back and all the cashiers were asking everyone to apply. I figured id humor myself and see if they would approve me, since ive been in the process of repairing my credit. To my surprise, I was approved for a $200 guest card. After paying off my bills every month, they raised my limit 2 months ago to $500. I think even though the apr is high, its a pretty nice card to have if you're trying to rebuild your credit. Its not too hard to get, and they report every month.

11. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

I just applied and got the guest card. Did your CL increases come automatically or did you ask for them?

12. GoreyGirl

Any BK?

For you folks with the Target card, when you received it, did you have a BK? Is so, how long after discharge?

It would be nice to have a Target even for $200 to start and then work it on up with using/paying. Not too crazy about their clothes but housewares is pretty good. And their Alpo dog food is the same price as Petsmart, which saves me a trip :)

13. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: Any BK?

I applied about 5 years after I filed my bk-13. I was approved for a $200.00 CL.

Not sure if I could have done it sooner.

Best regards,
    Mirage

14. Superman93

Superman93 Well-Known Member

Current Account Balance*:
    $.00
    Total Credit Limit:
    $200.00
    Available Credit:
    $300.00

Just looked at my guest account online. Interesting.......

15. FedUp2003

FedUp2003 Well-Known Member

DanS,

Can you please explain your scores a little better, as I'm curious about the difference between your FAKO and FICO scores, and also what might have occured betwen May and August.

When you say FAKO, did you get those scores from PG or something? and were your FICO scores from myFico.com?

Also, did you clean up your credit any between May and August, or did just 3 to 4 months of good history help you that much?

This was your Tagline:

May->Aug fako->fako-FICO
    EQ 585->613-658,
    EX 580->656-654
    TU 590->647-658 (yeah!)

Are you saying that your May FAKO frmo EQ was 585, and then your Aug FAKO was 613 while true FICO in Aug was 658 ... and the same pattern for EX and TU, or am I reading this wrong?

I'm really curious because it seems that a true FICO seems to be quite a bit higher than FAKO's.

I've pulled a "FAKO" TU from the WK website, and I get a "FAKO" EQ from PG, but have not bought a true FICO score yet. I also once pulled a FAKO report from eLoan.com, you can get 1 free and I think they use TU, and that was 599. My FAKO from PG started out at 564 and has since dropped to 552, why I don't know.

I'm wondering if my true FICO would be higher, like around 620 or above, and if so I'd think about applying for the Target Guest card as well, to build some more positive history.

FedUp2003

16. GoreyGirl

Thanks. We are only 5 months out of a BK 7 so I doubt if Target would be so kind! $200 is something we could just pay off so it wouldn't be like their risk is huge.

Just trying to find about 2 new accounts. A big problem with my score is that I have nothing more recent then 1998, so at this point anything new would help.

17. gloryroom

gloryroom Active Member

Target and new address

We just moved to a new address (bought a house) so thought since my credit was improved I would apply for a Target Card. I saw in the board before that people were not approved if the personal info especially address didn't match credit report. I applied online for a Target Card and put my new and previous address (I know that my previous address is on my credit reports). The letter I got from Target stated

"Federal law requires financial institutions to obtain and verify specific information about each of its new account applications in order to verify their idenity. This information includes name, street address, date of birth, social security number and home telephone number for both primary and joint applicants. Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm one or more of these peices of information about you or your joint application."

The last paragraph said "if you can provide us with additional information that can help us confirm your credit history, please write to us at this address:".

So my question is? WHat information should I write them? They didn't ask for anything specific. I would love to have a Target card as I shop there ALL the time. Do all my grocery shopping. Does it sound from this letter like I was only denied because they couldn't verify personal info? I thought this was strange since I put both addresses. New and old.

18. gloryroom

gloryroom Active Member

Target and new address

We just moved to a new address (bought a house) so thought since my credit was improved I would apply for a Target Card. I saw in the board before that people were not approved if the personal info especially address didn't match credit report. I applied online for a Target Card and put my new and previous address (I know that my previous address is on my credit reports). The letter I got from Target stated

"Federal law requires financial institutions to obtain and verify specific information about each of its new account applications in order to verify their idenity. This information includes name, street address, date of birth, social security number and home telephone number for both primary and joint applicants. Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm one or more of these peices of information about you or your joint application."

The last paragraph said "if you can provide us with additional information that can help us confirm your credit history, please write to us at this address:".

So my question is? WHat information should I write them? They didn't ask for anything specific. I would love to have a Target card as I shop there ALL the time. Do all my grocery shopping. Does it sound from this letter like I was only denied because they couldn't verify personal info? I thought this was strange since I put both addresses. New and old.

19. gloryroom

gloryroom Active Member

Target and new address

20. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Target and new address

They need to VERIFY you moved

j/k

Almost everybody gets $200-$500

EVEN A MILLIONAIRE GOT $200