Target Guest ---> Target Visa

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NJones, Sep 13, 2003.

1. NJones

NJones Well-Known Member

Has anyone been able to figure out how they decide to change your Guest card into a Visa card? The CSR I talked to said she didn't have a clue, just that the "system" makes the decision. I don't go to Target very often, and I might spend around $300/year there from online purchases. My bill is paid as soon as the charge hits my account. So, my statement always shows about a $0 - $1 balance.

2. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

I have no idea but I've had my Target Guest card since 1998 and got no offers for the visa card.
    I called Target like last year and she ran the info thru the computer and was denied!

Who knows what figures it out cause I have never missed a payment on any cards or loans in my life. No lates, no collections, nothing. My problem is I have TOO much credit and they denied me.

I'm so ready to cut up that card and get rid of it but it's one of my oldest tradelines so I'm not going to do that.

3. NJones

NJones Well-Known Member

OK, according to the CSR I just talked to:

A Guest account is never automatically transferred into a Visa account. I know this isn't true, because I've read of it happening several times from several different places, but I figured I'd pass it along. I might call again in a few minutes to see if I get a different answer.

4. NJones

NJones Well-Known Member

Just got the same exact response from a different CSR... I guess they don't do auto conversions anymore. Has this actually happened to anyone here?

5. MandyB

MandyB Well-Known Member

My Guest card automatically became a Visa sometime last year. They sent me notice saying that I was getting a Visa and that my Guest card was no longer valid. I don't know if that meant that I could reinstate the Guest card if I didn't take the Visa b/c I went w/ the Visa.
    BTW I had a low limit on the Guest and received about 10,000 on the Visa. I hadn't used the Guest too much--small balances most months but paid off in full.
    Target may have changed their policies though after what happened w/ the Sears portfolio where Sears lost a lot of money on their MC or Visa. Don't know which one b/c even though I have had Sears for more than 10 years they've never offered me a change to their "major" credit card.

6. NJones

NJones Well-Known Member

How long had you held the guest before it was transferred?

7. NJones

NJones Well-Known Member

Update...

I just called to get the payment address for my Target Guest (I normally only make payments online, but they won't let me pay my .17 account balance, so I have to use my bank's bill pay), and I figured I'd ask again if they convert into Visa accounts automatically... The lady said she didn't know, but she'd transfer me to someone in the Visa department, and they'd know.

According to the CSR from Target Visa, they do automatically convert guest accounts to Visa accounts, but she has no idea what the requirements are or how long you have to have the account open... She also said that she hadn't seen it done in a while.

8. gh0st

gh0st Member

Well, I had my guest card automatically converted about a month before they started advertising the Target Visa. It just showed up one day.

I called and asked after I got it why they converted it and if they pulled a report. The CSR told me:

No report was pulled, just internal history reviewed (which must of been one line since I only used my guest card once to buy 12 pack of coke when I didn't have any cash on hand).

Also, I asked why my CL was increased 4 fold from my guest card CL. They only told me that the minimum CL on a Target Visa was $2000 so everyone who had a CL below that was multiplied by 4 since the minimum CL on a guest card was $500.

I asked what would happen if I said I wanted my guest card back instead... The CSR seemed quite shocked that I would even ponder such an action and told me I would have to apply for the account again. Well, whatever were my thoughts on that one but thanked them for the info and the new CC and ended the call.

BTW, they DO negotiate quite well with APR since when they converted me, they put me a the std rate of 18% or something like that. I got them down to 7.9 fixed on purchases.

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I got them down to 7.9 fixed on purchases.

????

TARGET VISA AT 7.90%??????

10. Superman93

Superman93 Well-Known Member

I'd love to go to a Target Visa. I've been with target since january of this year and I'm still at the same measly $200 limit. I won't give up a "hard" to do it though. I hope they still do automatic.

11. gh0st

gh0st Member

Yeah George, 7.9% Initially I got them to 15.3%, then down to 11.99%. Then I made some purchases and paid them off each month. Did this for about 6 or 7 months, then called back and asked for a lower APR and they gave me 8.49%. I had just gotten through with my normal routine of calling my other CC's companies and asking for lower APR's or Good BT rates and had some good success so I was kinda cocky (confident) and figured why not ask for 7.9%. The lady asked me to hold on then came back and said OK, but we have to lower your cash advance line and raise your cash advance APR to 24.99% I said fine with me I don't do cash advances and POOF! 7.9%.

I really enjoy this card since my wife shops at target alot. We get 10% coupon often and you can use it on anything even if on sale or clearance. Plus Target takes manufacturer and store coupons for the same product, so we get two coupons per item, plus rewards.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Target Guest ---> Target Visa

WHEN THEY CUT THE CASH ADVANCE TO 15% OF THE LIMIT...I ASKED FOR A CASH ADVANCE LIMIT OF $0---ANSWER--->"DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT"

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

12/24/03 OURS WILL BE 2 YEARS OLD...

14. GoreyGirl

GoreyGirl Well-Known Member

Dumb question--how does one get a Target Guest card? What exactly is it?

I really like Target, find it a few steps above Walmart and not as fancy as Penneys or Kohls.

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Target Guest ---> Target Visa

www.target.com

3/4 down left side...

or use the link below...

http://target.com/common/financialservices/apply_online.jhtml

OR go to a TARGET store they would LOVE to have you sign up!!!

You might even be able to SIGN-UP and shop IMMEDIATELY and even get 10% off...

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

F.Y.I.---JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY GETS A $200 CREDIT LIMIT TO START

"IF" YOU DON'T WANT THE VISA CARD...YOU MUST CLICK ON THE CIRCLE FOR THIS-->
    Please select if you would like to be considered for a Target Guest Card ONLY.

17. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

I think mine in 98 started at 200.00 or something to that effect.

Today it's a 900.00 limit. They automatically upped it like every year! I hardly use it and if I do it's for little stuff that I can't find at Walmart.

18. bigmon

bigmon Well-Known Member

In the last 6 months I've only charged $30 to my Target card. I like Walmart a whole lot better.

19. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Target Guest ---> Target Visa

I had been getting a $200 AUTOMATIC CLI with WAL*MART STORE CARD...every 3 months

20. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Target Guest ---> Target Visa

I don't think I'll EVER get a CL increase on my Wal*Mart card.

I probably won't apply for a Target card. I rarely even go in the store. Wal*Mart is my store of choice.