Target Info

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Hope, May 25, 2001.

1. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

FYI, I received my Target card and notice there was a phone # to request additional cards.

I requested one for my son. She asked if I want him as an authorized user or joint. I said joint and to my surprise she only asked for his name. No SSN, etc. That's it.

He has no credit, but now he's a joint own mine. They ordered his card with his name while I was on the phone. That will help him to build his own credit.

Just thought someone else could use this info.

Hope

2. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

If they didn't ask for his Social Security#, they can'report it under his name. So unless you gave them his info, it is not going to help him.

3. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Thanks, I thought of this, too. And I plan to give them that information when I send in my first bill. By that time, my son will have already opened his Chase secured MasterCard account, soon he'll have 2 tradelines.

Thanks for the heads-up

Hope

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

LKH...

They don't need ss# to access credit report, or to post on it.
    Everything is cross-referenced...just like your credit card company, if you lose your card, you can tell them your phone number, or name, or SS#, or address, and account # will pop up.

I NEVER GAVE MY SS# TO MY INSURANCE COMPANY BECAUSE MY CREDIT HAS NO BARRING ON HOW I DRIVE. ..BUT THEY GOT THE CREDIT REPORT ANYWAY.

5. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had a suspicion this was true and I think I read it somewhere else on this board, too. Besides why would Target ask me whether I wanted him to be an AU or full-fledged joint unless they knew that could hold his feet to the fire, too?

Hmmm....I think I'll wait and see if my son's CR gets reported when mine does. If not, he'll supply the SSN.

6. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

When I moved to a new place and ordered telephone service, they wanted SSN. I said no because you can order over the phone and not give out your SSN (if you do it by Internet then you must give SSN). So, they had me fax them a copy of two IDs--I used old state ID & passport--to do the verification for the phone service. I noticed on my TU and Equifax reports that the phone company placed a hard inquiry for their "Welcome Center"!!

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WHEN I MOVED...I GOT A LETTER OF REFERENCE FROM THE OTHER PHONE COMPANY, GAS COMPANY, ELECTRIC, ETC.

SO NO CREDIT REPORTS.

NEVER DID GIVE THEM MY SS# (ALTHOUGH THEY WOULDN'T HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING IT).

You can ask them to do a "deposit" account $100-$200 maybe better than a "HARD" inquiry for F.I.C.O. REASONS...