Target & Providian Denials

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Jul 30, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

My husband was turned down online for both Target and Providian.

He called Target and got transferred back and forth to angry depts. who each said they were not the right dept.!

Finally a supervisor told him he was turned down and they could not tell him why. They did ask him if he has had a lot of inquiries.

I thought I had read on here that people call when they get turned down, should we wait until the denial letter comes and call back? OR should we call back now and try something different? OR should we just give up?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. OtherTerri

Also, I waited two weeks after mailing in dispute letters for my husband, hoping items would be in dispute and his score would be inflated.

His Equifax score was 623 earlier this month.

I thought I had this all planned so it would work, but I must be missing something, Seems like Target and Providian are easy to get, and I thought he would be approved. Providian did not even offer a secured card.

3. Lionel

Lionel Well-Known Member

I was "denied" Target today because I supposedly have a balance of $10.45 from Mervyn's from...1986! I'm on the phone with them right now...

Maybe you have an outstanding balance from a related company.

4. OtherTerri

Thanks for the suggestion, Lionel. But...we have not had any credit accounts for many years!

5. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Hi Teri...

What other cards does your husband have in his name??

Just b/c Providian didn't offer him a secured online doesn't mean they will not. My best friend had this happen and they mailed her a secured application along with her denial letter.

Target... I don't think they will give you a CC w/out other cards showing on you CR. I am still waiting on a card of mine to show up on my credit report. So.. I can also get a target card.

Good Luck..

MartysGirl

6. OtherTerri

He has Sears and he just got a K-Mart MC.

Thanks for the encouragemant!

7. MartysGirl

Terri...

I would be willing to bet it is b/c of the New credit he has. I have heard they are both notorious for this!!

MartysGirl

8. OtherTerri

I didn't think about that. Do you think I need to wait until the MC is 6 months old?
    Sears is from 2/01, but we are way over the limit because of the way our account was set up (for a refrigerator)

It amazes me that they can make these decisions in a split second!

9. MartysGirl

If I was you first .... I would ask Sears if they would consider reporting your limit higher on your credit reports. I would let them know that this is hurting your score. Maybe you will get a sympathetic rep..lol..!!

If sears will do that for you...ask the CRA to re-submit your application to target.

IF that doesn't work.. you will need to let the last card age.

Good Luck.. keep us posted...!!

MartysGirl

10. OtherTerri

I did not know that! I keep reading that they were easy to get.

How long do you think I should wait?

11. MartysGirl

I would at least let it age 6 months or more. If you use it then pay it off in full.... Max it out then pay it off...

I do that with mine.... I max my CC out paying my electricity, rent, gas, and etc. Then when I get paid I pay it all off to a Zero Balance.

This has helped me out a Ton..!!

MartysGirl

12. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Terri- if the sears shows overlimit and the new MC is anywhere close to it - the utilization ratios may be way off. Anything over 60% (total balances / total limits) is a red-flag.

My second guess would be (as others have mentioned already) age - let things season a bit first.

Good luck-
    mj

13. OtherTerri

Thanks mj and Martysgirl.

I'm arguing with Sears right now to get the cl increased.

I was hoping to get one more account opened this month so in 6 months we would get an increase in score. I am trying to time things to get a mortgage!!