Target Visa

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shirley, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

I just called Target Visa to find out if my account would be upgraded and the rep said there was no way for them to look that up.

I've only had my Target Guest card since July but my Equifax score is 762. The rep said it was totally random.

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Why would you want a target visa? The rates and lines are sub-par for your credit score. You should get a nice phat prime+0.9% Citi card with a $10K+ limit and be satisfied!!

Correct me if i'm wrong but nobody here has gotten a good rate from one yet?? 9.9% is high considering today's prime rate , imo.

It's cool looking and all but i don't see the gimmick when it comes to service/rates other than the donation to your favorite school?

3. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

I can't get out of subprime. No one is giving me anything with that score. The only item on my Equifax until a month ago was an old collection account that recently fell off. Now it has my new accounts.

Experian-- after listing the derog as scheduled to continue on record until 12/2001 has decided to extend that to 2009-- 10 years from the date the account was sold from one CA to the other. They're getting around it by listing it as an Account in Good Standing that has been Transferred. Of course, anyone who see the name of the creditor knows that it's a CA.

TU had only this same derog, dated 1999 until my recently acquired cards started reporting.

Target gave me $300, Kmart Mastercard $300, Associates $300. I have a Lerner's account that I've had since 1985 which is Open/Never late.

I've applied for a few prime cards but all were denied. I can't apply to Cititibank because I believe I'm on their blacklist. If Chase has a blacklist, I'm sure I'm on that too.

4. jimc001

jimc001 Active Member

Shirley,
    Try Orchard - they increased my line to $500 after three months and they've been very nice to me and pleasant to deal with. They gave me a card when no one else would touch me, for which I am very grateful. Also try nextcard, the word here is that they're good about CL increases and upgrading from secured to unsecured.
    Jim

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

762 score.

If you play www.millcbs.com right you should be getting prime offers. I've never heard of such a high score getting blown off??

Citibank has many branches: CitiBank USA, Citibank NA, and Associates, and Universal (probably more).

Might try one that you didn't do bad things too, they don't share info right now.

6. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I agree with "Sam" a 762 is VERY high. You should be getting prime offers. Did you pull all your CR and take a look at them.

At any rate my EQ is 680 with a bk-13 that is 5 years post. I did get a Nextcard unsecured with a 4k limit. I know many here on the board view Nextcard as unfavorable but it is a compromise from the Cap 1 and the Providian cc acounts that I currently have. (No go with Associates)

My thinking on the Target Visa is that Target will take their existing database and figure a formula based on your buying patterns at Target, payment history, and other factors. So a recent account many not receive consideration for a Visa card. We have enough posters here to figure out the roll out pattern .

Best regards,
    Sam

7. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Over the last week, I have spoken with numerous reps at both the Guest Credit Services and Target Visa Services and 90% of them have told me that EVENTUALLY all Target guest card accounts will be converted to the new Target Visa, unless the cardholder chooses to decline the Visa changeover. This gives me the idea that most everyone with a Target card, one way or another, will be getting the Target Visa.

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Sam-

The 10% coupon _is_ a good deal - every $1k = 10% off. Save up for larger purchases (patio furniture, grill, back-to-school, camera, ??) and generate the biggest total you can - $500, you get $50 off, $1000 you get $100 off.. Based on the $1k in purchases you made to get the coupon, that translates to a rebate of 5-10% (better than any rewards card you can get).

Don't run a balance and don't pay any interest.

Make the cards work for you. THat's what I do with Membership Rewards points, Club Plus points, Shell (Chase) gas rebates, Sears Premier points (and their 0% for a year deals too!) ... and now Target points.

Prime + .9% or Prime + 1% still sucks when compared to a home equity line for prime + 0% (Discover/Morgan Stanley) at 90% LTV or prime -1% (my local bank, for 80% LTV and under) ... AND IT'S TAX DEDUCTABLE (free money).

-mj