Tax lien question..

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marypc, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Good evening all,

I have a paid tax lien, $765.00, filed in 1993 and paid in 1996. It will remain on my report until 6/03, and is there to stay, (impossible to dispute successfully, at least for me.) I recall reading on another board that paid tax liens, especially as they age, are not very damaging. Does anyone know exactly how damaging they are, and does that factor lessen much with age?

It is listed as an item of public record. (I was on unemployment at the time, got a job, but a loving family member intercepted two checks that came after I got a new job, and cashed them. Thus, it appeared that I took money I wasnt entitled to. I fought it, gave up in 96 and paid it, not realizing it wont disappear until 7 years from the release/paid date, and not from the filing date.)

Thanks for your help guys.

2. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Marypc,

Several times on this board I've tried to get help with a situation such as yours.

I have a California tax lien against me (10 yrs old). I've asked for help with this several times and got no response.

Everybody just wants to brag about how much their limits are...

Mike

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Unpaid tax liens are now listed for 15 years. Paid tax liens are listed for 7 years from the date they are paid. A federal and CA tax lien is unenforceable after 10 years so why would someone interested in a pristine credit report who has an 11 year old lien pay it? If unpaid, the lien comes off in four years. If it's paid the lien stays for seven. This is stupid.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

mike

F.Y.I. if nobody answers a question...nobody knows the answer.

Or the lurkers may know the answer, but are afraid to speak up.

5. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

Under Courthouse/Public Records

A unpaid tax lien(s) can remain on your credit report indefinitely.

A paid tax lien(s) will remain on your credit report for up to 7 years from the date released (paid in full).

California State Residents Only: Unpaid tax liens remain 10 years from the date filed.

A paid tax lien is still a severe negative on a credit report a unpaid tax lien is even worse. It shows a creditor your inability to pay/take your financial obligations seriously.

Mary in your case if you were denied wholly on the basis of the tax lien. I would call the creditor and talk to whoever processes application acceptances and plead your case that you satisfied the obligation of an amount that was stolen by a family member.