tax lien

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jayjay, Mar 27, 2001.

  1. jayjay

    jayjay Guest

    I recived a letter in the mail yesterday that stated the the the circuit courts have given a lein of judgement for the state of maryland for overdue income taxes in the amount of $600.00. My question is a three part question
    1 shouldn't I have been given an oportunity to speak in court regarding this issue ( no summons was sent).
    2 can I appeal this judgement
    3 Will this have a negative affect on my credit report.

    The amount is such a small amount and I am able to pay it immediately. If I pay it during the appeal process can this judgement be removed from my report?
  2. breeze

    breeze Well-Known Member

    Didn't the state ever contact you?
  3. dave

    dave Well-Known Member

    I don't know anything about Maryland law but in many states, tax authorities can use this procedure without notice to the taxpayer. However, usually there are time limits for enforcing taxes and procedures that are required to be followed. You should contact a lawyer specializing in tax law to ask if this was handled properly in your case.

    Unpaid tax liens are credit score killers. You can try paying the taxes it in exchange for setting aside the judgment and removing the lien. If you can't get that, at least the credit report will show the lien has been satisfied.
  4. jayjay

    jayjay Guest

    For breeze the answer is no the state never contacted me. And Dave, I notice in your reply you ststed unpaid tax liens being a credit score killer. If this lien is paid will that still have an effect on my credit score, and whatv does "setting aside a judgement mean"?
  5. Gliz10444

    Gliz10444 Guest

    We have a tax lien on our credit reports dating back to 1993.
    On two credit reports it says that we paid the $10,000
    and on the other it says that the status is unknown.
    The thing is after we were audited they owed us money. I've tried and tried to get IRS to have this removed because we never owed them the money. They say there is nothing they can do about it. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how I might be able to have this removed.

Share This Page