Teen credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cheetah *, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Cheetah *

Cheetah * Guest

Hello, I saw an article about teens getting credit in Teen People. My daughter almost a senior in high school and I've been looking around with her about getting me a credit card for college and emergencies. She's not a big spender, I just want to get a record for her started. She's beginning my first job (hopefully) in the next couple of days and I will still be paying her expenses so she can get the credit card paid off immediately. I'd really appriciate anything you can tell me or recommend to me. I saw the message about Ruth C talking to some teenager so I know there is someone who can answer me. Thanx.

2. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Lots of her/me mixed up in here! Are you the mother or the daughter? ;)

Take a look at the article on student credit cards at BankRate's site http://www.bankrate.com/brm/green/cc/cc4.asp

or cobaltcard.com. That's the only one I know offhand.

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Cheetah,

When your daughter enters college she will be bombarded with credit card offers from all sides. I got my first credit card from Discover during my freshmen year. By doing this she can forego the secured route and additional costs associated with it. The best gift you can offer your daughter is to make sure she is well informed in consumer credit education. You could also add her on as an authorized user on one of your accounts. Just make sure she understands the responsibility of having a credit card and using it wisely. Many of us here know first hand how important credit is and probably would do it all over if we could. Best of luck.

Dani

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

My daughter is almost 15. I will give her an AU on one of my visa cards when she is 16 and driving. Probably a credit union card where we both have accounts.