Telecheck

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Michelle, Apr 16, 2000.

1. Michelle

Michelle Guest

I have been in the process of rebuilding my credit. I've been reading books on the subject and have taken a systamatic approach.

1. Ask the bureaus to verify debt.
    2. If the bureau verifies the debt I make a decision on wheather to contact the collection agency or not. I contact them if the debt is less than 5 years old. I figured it is going to take about 1 to 2 years to clean up my debts and why pay it if the debt will fall of before I am done with my clean up efforts.

I have ran into a problem with Telecheck. I have not bounced a check in over 5 years. Telecheck contacted me a couple of months ago regarding a couple checks. The statue of limitations on collecting these run out in a couple of months so I decided to leave them alone. Yesterday, I received in the mail a responce from one of my disputes from Trans Union. They removed 10 of 11 accounts from another collections agency and low and behold there were the 5 checks from Telechek. Telecheck had not reported before. The problem is that they have listed the date of debt as December 1999, when in fact is was prior to March of 1995. They did not get the debt assigned to them in December.

How should I go about challenging this with Trans Union. Should I ask for a photo copy of the check to prove when it was wrote? I am unsure if they have reported it to any other bureaus, does anyone know who they report to? Just when I thought I finally made a step forward they send me back 3.

2. vixie

vixie Guest

Hi Michelle, I am in the process of doing the same thing.....re-establishing my credit. I have a booklet that you can have for free. I have made photocopies of it for my friends with credit problems. Definitely fight it!!! With this manual you can do it! Email me, and I'll email the info out of the book to you, unless you feel comfortable enough to give me a fax # or address. It has been sooooo helpful to me.

3. Johnny Coc

Johnny Coc Guest

If They Can't Prove, They Must

Basically, Telecheck can't collect â?? and with your attitude never will. Write them a letter disputing the debt, their erroneous report being published by Trans Union, and include a copy of the page from Trans Union where their trade line appears. Send it certified with return receipt requested (and type on the face of the document under your address the following language:

Sent by Certified Mail: Postal Article #123..
    Return-Receipt Requested).

This will demonstrate that you intend to document your communication, to establish facts as evidence in case further action is necessary (such as contacting a state or federal agency or a private attorney).

Essentially, you know you owe the debt, but you feel like you deserve a fresh start and that the old debt should be forgiven. I agree with you - and so does the Bible and the Law which derives much of it's logic from biblical teachings (in this case Deuteronomy). They have 30 days to PROVE you owe the debt which means showing you your signature on a document. When they do finally respond keep the envelope (for the post mark). In a dispute I had with a bank which made erroneous reports to ChexSystems the date on the letter was off by 15 days from the date on the post mark so it looked like they complied with the 30 day requirement when in fact they did not. A friend at my current employer used to work as a secretary at that bank and laughed in recognition because she says that back- dating is common practice. You will certainly get their trade line deleted by stating firmly your dispute and threatening "further action should that be necessary." Make sure you keep all the original documents in your dispute in case you really do have to contact an agency such as the Federal Trade Commission. Also, since Telecheck is based in Houston, Texas threaten to contact the following Texas state agency for dispute resolution under Title 2, Business and Commerce Code, Chapter 20, Regulation of Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies, Section 20.08, Consumer's Right to File Action In Court or Arbitrate Disputes.

4. Michelle

Michelle Guest

RE: If They Can't Prove, They

Thanks for the advice. I have constructed a letter to Trans Union, which I will mail certified in the morning. In the letter I said I had been in contact with Telecheck since 1995 and they will not supply me with proof of the debt in the form that I have requested (photocopy of the check). Than, I said that I wanted to dispute it and was hoping that their agency (Trans Union) would be able to once and for all accomplish this task for me, which I have been unable to do on my own, I also Cc it to the federal trade commission. If Telecheck wants to put it on the report, fine but they need to have the date right. With the correct dept, it will fall off in about a year.

5. Michelle

Michelle Guest

6. Johnny Coc

Johnny Coc Guest

No, Do Not Make a Specific Ref

No, do not make a specific reference to the checks. Do not even acknowledge the possibility of their existance. Merely state something to the effect that "you are making erroneous reports to the national credit reporting bureaus, including Trans Union (enclosed is a copy for your reference). Pursuant to my rights under Federal Law I hereby dispute this debt and demand you cease making report of it immediately. Your failure to do show shall cause me to file a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General of Texas. Please be advised that any information received from you will used as further evidence should such action be required."

7. Kathie

Kathie Guest

RE: No, Do Not Make a Specific

Awesome advise Johnny....sounds like the kind that usually costs $200 an hour :)

8. Michelle

Michelle Guest

Now EXPERIAN

I recently asked Experian to verify 6 accounts listed under my name (from a department store) because they were not mine. I had contacted the store myself and they refused to provide me with signed contracts etc. The accounts are listed as delinquent in late 1994 and early 1995. Today I get a response that says they verified them as mine and they were charged off in March 2000 therefore they will stay on my report until 2007. YUUUGGGHHHH, That was one huge step backwards.Now what?????

9. Credit Ran

Credit Ran Guest

RE: If They Can't Prove, They

Check out www.vcr.org There are excellent resources and information for "Victims of Credit Reporting"
    Johnny...you the man

Venceremos C.R.

10. Bud

Bud Guest

re: Delinquency vs "char

Actually, if I read the FCRA correctly, the clock starts running when the debt becomes delinquent (up to 6 months after the last payment is made). Whether the debt is charged off from there or sold to a collection agency is irrelevant; seven years after the debt became delinquent, you should be able to have it deleted from your record.

Michelle wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I recently asked Experian to verify 6 accounts listed under my name (from a department store) because they were not mine. I had contacted the store myself and they refused to provide me with signed contracts etc. The accounts are listed as delinquent in late 1994 and early 1995. Today I get a response that says they verified them as mine and they were charged off in March 2000 therefore they will stay on my report until 2007. YUUUGGGHHHH, That was one huge step backwards.Now what?????

11. Jeanette

Jeanette Guest

RE: Telecheck for Vixie

Vixie,

I would also like a copy of that book, Iam in the process of fixing my terrible credit. Iam a young Mom and had problems after a divorce that have haunted me and now that Iam back on my feet I dont know where to begin to fix my credit it seems like Ill never be able to have good credit or buy anything. I want a house so bad, make decent money but because of my credit cant have one. Help please....
    My name is Jeanette and my fax # is 703-713-0128..

12. Michelle

Michelle Guest

That is how I interpreted it also. I tried to explain that to the lade at Experian and she said she didnt know what I was talking about. I am going to get a letter sent off to FTC and cc to Experian. Maybe someone will understand than.

13. Credit Ran

Credit Ran Guest

There are examples of FTC letters addressing this issue at www.vcr.org Hope this helps

regards, C.R.

14. Michelle

Michelle Guest

Thank you, I am heading over there now.