Thanks everyone / Providian /

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by joe, Jan 25, 2001.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info here! I was able to talk to Providian and Cap1 with the confidence needed to get changes made to the accounts. I KNEW they would do it because of everyone's input here. Providian started out explaining how 23.9% is not a "monthly" rate...HAHAHA. Duh! Like we are all clueless about APR. But, how else can they defend 23.9%? I just smiled, asked for rentention and in minutes had an increased line and lowered rate. WOW. Cap1 gave me the usual, wait 6 months for an increase. I was calm and said, "cancel." They backed up, lowered my rate 2% and told me to call in two months for a line increase. At least they met me halfway. But, I would NEVER have had the confidence to be so strong if it was not for you folks! THANKS.

Joe

P.S. For people getting nasty or rude around here: "Relax." Everyone wants to help and when people ask a "silly" question or give "wrong" answers...so WHAT...this place is free. Enjoy making new friends and DO NOT INSULT anyone. If someone is rude to you, IGNORE THEM. Plus, the good people always push the "bad apples" off by ignoring them! :)

2. Top

Top Guest

RE: Thanks everyone / Providia

Congratulations!!! I will try next time.

3. S.D.

S.D. Guest

How long have you had both of your accounts... if you don't mind me asking. I've had my Providian Gold since 11/00 and I'm waiting on my secured CapOne (would like to know when to work them on increases and terms...)

4. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

My husband has Cap 1 Secured Mastercard over 2 years old. He also has 2 new gold cards with them 2 months old. No other cards. How long should we keep the Mastercard? We don't pay an annual fee because we use MCI and they waive the fee if you are an MCI customer. There is only a very small balance on the card. I thought this would be good for a credit builder. What do you all think? Dump it or what?

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Once your card is 2 years old, i'd dump it if you have better product. 2 years is what everyone is looking for.

Call cap 1, ask to unsecure the card, then ask (next day) to fold the credit line into your gold product. Or you'll cancel, they will :)

6. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

We asked to unsecure in Nov.2000 at the 2 year mark by letter. They gave him a $300 increase, but no word at all about unsecuring the account. Then he got a pre-approved junk mail. He applied on-line and got $2000, the week before he applied on-line and got $200. I think the certificate number has alot to do with the limits they give you. Both cards came the same day. Since this is his oldest card, I wasn't sure what to do about it. Thanks for the input.

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: i was just told..

On feb 26th , my 1 year anniversay, i can call and ask for my money back, and i will get it back, since my records are flawless for them. I called the rep about 2 days ago :)

They were very friendly, and explained, that its better to unsecure your card, before you merge it into another product.

8. Saar

Saar Banned

Could you share your discussion with Providian's retention agent? Thanks.

Saar

9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: i was just told..

Thanks, thats what I'll do. We've been flawless too. They do have really nice reps.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yes I can do that. I will post it tonight for sure when I have a chance to write it out!

Saar wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Could you share your discussion with Providian's retention agent? Thanks.

Saar