THANKS/What's better?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JD, Jan 31, 2001.

1. JD

JD Guest

Like others, I've been following this board for a while without comment. It's been extremely helpful in understanding the credit card business. Most of you are sincere and willing to share information and experiences.People can't help but benefit from this board. Thanks.
    I currently have offers from Capital One and Household Bank. Providing I qualify, which would be the better company?

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

What's your current credit situation? Are you in the rebuilding process? If so, you might want to get both cards.

Cap One is decent. If your credit is questionable, the limit won't be high and you'll probably get socked with an annual fee. Cap One is stingy with increases but their customer service is good. And, after you've proven yourself, you'll probably get the annual fee waved and the interest rate, lowered.

You also asked about Household Bank. If by Household, you mean Orchard, I would say no. Many folks here haven't had a good experience with Orchard, their customer service isn't toll free and, like Cap One, they're stingy with increases.

However, if the card you're applying for is directly through Household, you should be okay. I just got the Union Plus card from Household and, so far, I haven't had a problem. There is no annual fee, the customer service has been good, I got a nice deal on balance transfers and the interest rate is acceptable.

Let us know what you decide and I hope this helps.

Donna

3. JD

JD Guest

I guess I'm rebuilding my credit. There are some errors on my credit report, some old stuff, medical bills, and a couple of late payments. I do have 2 cards from Providian (MasterCard and VISA) but since both are from the same bank, I thought it would be good to have a card from another bank. The Capital One is no annual fee, 0% intro rate until July, up to $2000. The Household Bank (doesn't say anything about Orchard) offer is 3.9% intro, no annual fee, up to $5000. Thanks for your response.

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Your credit doesn't sound that bad and, to me, both card offers seem reasonable. Take your pick.

Donna