The Associates

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

A few interesting notes on the Associates:

1. Online payments are BACKDATED. Only one other company I know (Amex) offers it, so your payment is credited as of the date you scheduled it, not as of the actual date of the debit. A nice feature.

2. My purchase APR has gone from 18.9% to 10.9% to 10.4% to 9.9%. This was not a direct result of the prime cuts, since mine was a fixed rate, but they still lowered it.

3. They've become very aggressive trying to make me use their convenience checks. (I've never used these checks, since all CC companies - special teasers excluded- apply them towards one's Cash Advance APR, which is much higher).

http://www.theassociates.com/pf/credit/portal/acq_index.htm

Saar

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Saar,
    You pay yours online?? How did you get that? I try every now and then, but they always reject it.

breeze

3. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Saar, I use the convenience checks for balance transfers, rate is the teaser rate, then use the other cards check to deposit into the CreditWorks account and earn 19.47% APR.

www.creditsense.com

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

SAAR - When The Associates

first started in Dallas, TX - (I lived there from 1976-81) - they were a small finance company with a small building outside of downtown Dallas.

It cracks me up to think of their business model.
    They have gone from being a high risk old time break your kneecap take your armadillo kiss your wife type of finance company to a very large financial entity.

I always find our Associat_ion fun and amusing - dogman

5. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

Re: SAAR - When The Associates

Dogman,

I'm in Dallas,Texas & I remember them well(I was working for Dallas Times Herald back then....LOL).

I love S.F. though; I have a long distance relationship w/a guy there for more than 10 yrs now & we take turns on visitation(but I visit more because of the ocean/beaches/Fisherman's Wharf....typical things not here).

I get great rates on United airlines(non stop flights).

Love & Peace,
    Sister Girl

6. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Re: SAAR - When The Associates

Sistergirl and Dogman,

I too am in Dallas, Texas. I've never had their card, but I remember seeing their latest building in Las Colinas. And I recall the stigma attached to them like "Beneficial" and other finance companies.

In later years they've had dealings in real estate when I've had to deal with them for corporate matters (I'ma Realtor), and now they've been absorbed into CitiGroup.

See, there is hope for moving from sleeze to reputable.