The good, the bad & the ugly

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jonesing, May 2, 2001.

1. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned in a recent post that the Aria card's design is ugly. So, I was wondering which cards were considered good looking and which are ugly?

Do you prefer the "map of the Earth" like on Diners Club, AEA Bank, Capital One or First USA? Or maybe the "strong silent type" like AMEX's Centurion on the Gold Card or AMEX Credit Cards? Perhaps the soothing cool Blue from American Express? Of course there's always your picture of Fluffy in the clothes dryer on NextCard...

Which card design is best looking? Or not so best looking?

2. bigboy

bigboy Guest

i'd have to say that amex blue wins the prize, hands down. i got that card *only* b/c i liked the way it looked. i know, it's silly to want a card for that shallow of a reason- but it helps me smile more confidently now, and i have a lot more friends!! :p

3. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I just got an offer today for a Providian CLEAR card...see thru!
    Wonder how much that caters to younger audiences. Dude waaaay cool clear card - narley!

-Dave

4. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I think the Amex blue and green (a true classic) cards are the coolest. The green First Premier card and the Cross Country Bank cards are the ugliest by far!!!

5. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

I love American Express (any) - I went with a nice picture of Seattle (w/Space Needle) on my Nextcard (since I live here) --- Aria is ugly - Merrick Bank looks nasty - That Centennial Bank credit card flashing in the bottom right of this screen looks hideous, too!

Gregory

6. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

It's kind of silly, but the only card I ever received compliments on is the American Express Blue especially when I first got it. People couldn't figure it out. When I purchased something I had a couple cashiers flip it up, down, and sideways to see if they could see the Smart Chip. It was hilarious.

Dani

7. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Damn you, Nave. I really want that card. I have to wait another couple of months until my 120 days are up before I call to ask them though.

Maybe you could apply for it and sent it to me when you get it? I promise not to use it much.

8. R.

R. Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who likes the Cap1 marble classic Visa? I've heard it called ugly.

The MBNA classic MC is my style. Clean lines, nothing shouting out at you.

The Providian classic Visa was nice and simple too. I don't like the gold. The old Telebank Visa ATM card was along the same lines.

I never liked any of the AmEx charge cards, and I thought they got worse as you went along.

Several Chase Shell MCs over the years have been quite tight. It's my most wanted card for the future, although that's more due to a rewards program that's actually useful to me than due to the plastic.

Least favorite of all time was the early 80's Mastercards. They were so ugly that I still have a semi-conscious hatred for MC accounts as opposed to Visa. The only thing uglier would be if I had to get one of those picture cards.

Frankly, unless I can touch the card in the right place and see a six-inch hologram pop up saying, 'help me Obi-Wan Kanobe, you're my only hope,' I guess I could care less. I've never had anyone comment on one of my card's faces. I must not hang out with the in crowd. Maybe I need to shop at The Gap or something .... (Although the kitten and Dilbert checks I used to have got frequent reaction.)

9. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I have Blue and it looks okay, but I like my Optima Platinum card better. My Quantum card (translucent design) looks good too.

10. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

I have to agree on MBNA's 'understated' look, tho on the Platinum Plus. That's my favorite, followed by Blue and my Citi Plat Select. Hands-down ugliest thing I've ever seen was the sky-blue 'Mercury' visa card a friend of mine had <shudder>. I would vote in my old silver Providian card with the silhouette or whatever on the left side, but it actually got a compliment once from a cashier.

11. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Nordstrom's has the hologram thing going on the front with the rest of the information on the back. I like it. CCB and Cap One suck, in my opinion.

12. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

My parents got a preapproved Capital One Mastercard. I tried to call and get one, but they said it was for prestine credit. Sucks.

It was the Irish Heritage cards. 4 in all. Look great. Irish flag, scenic picture, Celtic knot, and another great looking one. Of course, I may be a bit biased. I love Ireland! : )

Dustin
    1/4 Irish by blood, Full Irish by heart

13. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, Blue wins for the best looking card. This was one of the first cards to come out that actually was "Different" I have had many cashiers tell me that the card is "BAD" which means cool and they like the blue hologram design that makes the rainbow colors when rotated. Friends like the way it looks too. The technology it uses is so advanced that the credit card readers in the Post Office that I went to one day couldn't even read the card, I had to use MC instead.

The Discover Platinum card has a cool look to it as well. That platinum color can not be beat, it has a glossy shine and sparkle to it, many cashiers have looked at it curiously as well.

I used to have a Cap One MC with the design of lightning on it. It was a cool looking card, my first credit card at that. Many friends said it looked cool as well. I believe credit card designs definitely have a major role to play when people apply for cards. Consumers certainly don't like ugly looking cards because they would be ashamed to pull them out of their wallets when they needed to.

14. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Amex blue is nice, the blue hologram is catchy, but the card is a bit simple. Well, there's always the chip :)
    Discover Platinum looks OK, especially since they changed the logo to a globe.
    Citibank Platinum select MC looks, well, select :)
    MBNA Platinum Plus si downright ugly, maybe because it's an affiliate card.
    If you like gold cards, then Providian Gold Premier is not that ugly....
    Associated Visa sucks badly, it's grey as a rat
    Capital One MC is OK, nothing special about it...
    That covers all my cards...

If you ask me, it'll be a close match between Blue and Citi...

15. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Definitly the coolest card I have in my wallet is my Citgo Plus. It's got a time lapsed evening photo of the streets of New York on it, with the headlight streaks and taillight streaks and the Empire State building showing in the background. But as far as Visa and Mastercard, I really don't care as long as they're that nice gold color :)

16. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

I like Amex Blue myself but I saw a woman pull out MBNA Quantum at Target
    and thought that was cool too! (I now know I've been reading all these
    posts from you freaks much too much! Why? Because when she pulled out that
    card I suddenly thought "I wonder what she has for APR, grace period and
    FICO! LOL Especially since she had a Blue tucked in her wallet too :)

One card that I saw a while back was from TRW credit union. It was a night
    shot of a Space Shuttle launch--very nice!

As for marketing to the younger set who think Blue is "Bad" then yeah...the
    way to do it (for 18-22 year old guys) would be: "Carry our card and
    you'll be a God amongst men.... Women will quiver with giddy delight....and
    you won't get carded by the snotty bartender!"

17. 2ndIINone

2ndIINone Member

You know we Juniper cardholders have it locked down. I really don't care what a card looks like, as long as it has the goods...but when I saw that Juniper card I had to say wow that's pretty nice. Had an Office Depot driver deliver some items to my house and he looked at the card and said, "I don't use credit cards but that is a cool looking card." Only thing is that if you need to make a photocopy of the card, it comes up black because the card is transparent.

18. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I want a juniper card so much, mainly b/c it is so pretty. I definitely give it to JUNIPER.

Out of the cards that I have, I like the look of my GM card.

roni

19. JB1833

JB1833 Member

Fleet Fusion is VERY cool looking, and I love the smart chip on ANY card! :)

20. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

The Fleet Fusion Smart Card is the coolest. It has a gold smart chip to the left of the card, a cool "FUSION" and hologram, as well as outlines of a large thumb print spanning the face that fades from the center out. Very "Techno-sophisticated."

CardKid