The Providian/ARIA relationshi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Angela, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Angela

Angela Guest

I am learning new things here daily. I have a provodian gold card, no annual fee, 25 day grace period but a HOORIBLE interest of 23.9. I know some of you also have this interest too.

If I apply for an ARIA card will I get the same terms as my providian card? Or something better or something worse? Should I wait to apply for the ARIA card until after I get an interest reduction? I have had the card for 3 months.

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

RE: The Providian/ARIA relatio

How long have you had the Gold card? Relax, this is easier than you think. If you've had the Prov at least 6 mos just call up and tell them you want to cancel your card b/c of the interest rate... they'll give you over to retention and retention can lower it. Try for 16.9 but don't be surprised if they offer 19.9. Still try for 16.9

I have both Prov/Aria and Aria seems to be very tight on interest rates. We get good line increases, and sometimes annual fee rebates, but NEVER lower interest rates than what they assign (to the best of my knowledge). Aria is only 2 years old (Part of Prov) and they have minimal upgrades right now. STick w/Prov and negotiate. Call every couple of months until you get what you want.

3. Angela

Angela Guest

RE: The Providian/ARIA relatio

Did you say you have a annual fee on the providian card?

I think I should wait until I have the providian card at 16.9 like you do before I get an ARIA card. I am going to demand the same terms on ARIA that I get on rpovidian.

4. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Angela...

I've had the Providian Gold (no grace, $59 annual fee, started w/ 23.99%) since 11/00. After one month of having the card (and using it) I called(800-356-0011) and asked a regular rep if I could negotiate the terms because I was getting better offers and I really wanted to stay w/ Providian. She said that she would transfer me to a dept that handles negotiations (Retention).

I said the same thing to Retention and he said the best he could do for me since I hadn't established any history w/ them was to drop my 23.99 down to 21.9%. I never threatened to close the acct, but I asked if that was the best he could do (didn't push too hard). He wouldn't budge, but told me that around the 5-6 month mark, it would be easier for me to negotiate rates w/ them.

After I saw Marie's posts, I decided to give it another shot. First, I called the regular customer service # (the one at the beginning of this post). SHe wouldn't budge.
    I tried the direct retention # that Marie had posted (800-215-7318) and went thru the same deal, etc.
    The rep instantly gave me 16.9%, but told me that he couldn't do anything about the grace. After having the card for a year, they consider giving customers the package w/ grace. BTW, his name was Brandon. Maybe you could ask for him?

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to call ARia again, but I plan to very soon. I'm gonna complain about the online access thing, since I currently have only the Prov. Gold registered.

Good luck, Angela!!

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

800-215-7318 works

I don't know why this retention department is So much nicer... but they are! Glad to hear you all are doing so well w/PRovidian now.

6. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Marie

I take it this is the retention dept. for Providian only? Or have you tried this # for Aria? Geez, if only we could get the secret # for Aria's super friendly retention dept! LOL =0)

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

RE: Marie

Prov as far as I know. Call and ask.

8. Killer

Killer Guest

RE: 800-215-7318 works

I called them and was told that my account was too new! The rep told me to call back in about a month. I thought this was strange because my account was old enough for my recent line increase (this was my 1st increase since opening the account nearly 5 months ago). I think others have stated that they received a lower APR and their card was less than 5 months old. I'm a little disappointed. Maybe I didn't say the right thing? I could threaten to close because I need this account. My APR is 23.99% and it's a Gold Visa. Any suggestions?

9. S.D.

S.D. Guest

RE: 800-215-7318 works

Did you ask for Brandon? Try that and see if he's of any help... and be really nice =0)
    Just be persistent! and I wouldn't threaten to close the acct. just in case they actually do!

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Killer... try this

I'm beginning to think if we just call up and ask for decreases/increases without a reason they're less inclined to do it. I always give them a reason to do it and I let them be the good guy who makes it all better.

Eg: If you have a Prov gold visa and an Aria Visa (yes, you can act like you have one) then you can't access your visa gold online. No up to the minute looks at your account, no online bill payment... it really decreases the perceived value of the Prov. Gold that's supposed to have more value to us. If you had another company's gold card you'd be able to access your account online.

So, call back up again. Let them know you have realized that since you use the website for your Aria visa you can't access your Prov Gold Visa. Doesn't feel much like a Gold card... and since you have this high interest rate compared to your friend who has 16.9 you just aren't feeling very Gold... or something like that...

Use the website glitch as a reason why you're disappointed. Besides, some people are going to initially say they can't do anything and hope you'll just say ok.

Also, I've called a bank and requested something and been told no only to call back 5 minutes later... request something and get a yes. Who knows. I do think Providian reps actually have discretion!!! Cap1 doesn't. So I truly believe that if you give them a REASON for being dissatisfied they can feel good about keeping your business.

otherwise, I think sometimes we can come across as pushy... or just working the system. Even I've screwed up and I could tell that the rep figured out that I'd figured it all out.. and I got zip. They are protective of their companies..normally.

Try using the website as a reason... tell them you were already tremendously disappointed in the APR (after all, a gold card w/23.99 apr? I don't think so).

And if you get 19... try again in a month. But I think if they say they're willing to drop the rate... stick to your guns nicely and try for the 16.9. Tenacity is the key!!!

11. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: sorta not providian.

With cap 1 and citi i usually make up some elaborate story, and of course make it sound innocent.

both have responded well.

cap1. "Well the year end of my secured card is up, and well i have a gold card now from you too, i think it would just be better to close the secured card, that way i would get my $99 back, and not have to pay the yearly membership fee again"

"Okay how about we waive the fee for you"..worked. A card with no fee, will always be a great tradeline.

Then citi...
    "I was thinking about transferring my balances to another creditor with a lower apr, as you can see i make over $2k in purchases a month, and usually pay them off in full. I was hoping to make some substantial purchases pretty soon, and carry a balance over, but 17.49% seems awefull high, and i can transfer my balances over to another card and close this account"
    their response was "I can lower your apr 5% right now!".

aria didn't budge for me so i closed it, i don't regret it one bit now. Those that play my games, win my business.

After 1 year of rebuilding i've gotten over $5k in credit and almost all of that is 12.49% . I think im going to ride out the rest of my 2.5 remaining sentence with what i have. I hope everyone here can take the same path and work those that reward you well!