The real vs. the fake credit scores...how do you know??!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shakinna, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Shakinna

Shakinna Member

Hello everyone. Before I began I have to say this is a very good site and I am grateful for all the knowledge you all have so easily poured into it. Im a newbie and I am still trying to make a plan. I have so far been approved for a crown jewels card, but denied a target red card, a kay jewelers card, a cheveron card, and more then likely the capitol one card I just applied for. I am going to stop applying now. What made me confused is the scored I have. From looking at my credit report, my scores were 526 (EX) 605 (EQ) and 587 (TU). But when I received the declination letter from Kay it stated when they pulled my EQ report I was at a 625...yet I was still declined.

This made me smile because Im at a 625...but frowned because I got the "yeah right, YOU want credit" type answer. I have no idea what my true scores are, and I feel as though its caused a pause in my planning.

Any advice on how one would obtain their true scores as opposed to these random ones?

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

The credit scores that really matter are your FICO scores, which can only be obtained from myFICO.com or via a lender when you've applied for credit. The credit score Kay provided you was most likely your Equifax-based FICO score while the other ones you were checking are what we like to call FAKO scores peddled by the CRAs.

Read this article I wrote awhile back called Which Credit Scores Matter and it should help you better understand the whole credit-scoring game. After you've read it, let me know if you have any more questions.

Also, I'm really glad to hear you like the site and it's provided you with valuable knowledge. To help us out in return, do us a favor and link to our homepage from your own site/blog or share Creditnet with your friends via Facebook or Twitter.

We've recently lost quite a bit of web traffic via Google overnight for some reason, so we really need the help of all our members to show Google that we're a high-quality site that people should be able to easily find when searching for information about credit and credit repair. Linking back to us from your own site is the best way to show Google that you think we matter, so thanks in advance for your help!

By the way, what part of Maryland do you live in? I was actually born in Baltimore and grew up in the Westminster area, but I've now migrated out to the West coast.