The scoop on GetSmart

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Sep 25, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Ok, I just got my GetSmart Classic Card today. I called up the rep and she was very nice, which shocked me, from what some of you have said. Anyhow, I asked about upgrading the cards (ex: classic to gold) and also lowering of interest rates. She told me it was by invitation only, and that the reduction of interest rates isn't done very often. Does anyone have a differing experience they could provide. Does GetSmart even have retention? What would be some good methods after say, 6 months of good payment, to negotiate on?

2. SD

SD Well-Known Member

When I received the ARIA card (now GetSmart), I called to cancel after the "0% APR for 2 months" was up. The supervisor asked me to give them a try and that they offer big line increases if I maintain my account. I asked if any fees were involved for the offers and he told me that I can just call back and he would waive the fee.

I sent a letter to PFB about the interest rates and line increase fee. First try - no luck. I resent the letter by mistake (glad I did) and I received an email stating that they lowered my APR to 16.9 from 23.9 and credited the $49 fee that I had sent for the $500 line increase.

Give PFB a try. All they can say is no.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

All I know about GET SMART is they DENIED me and my wife for the
    0.00%/9.99% GET SMART card.
    ME F.I.C.O. 685-704
    HER F.I.C.O. 725-741

4. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I try very hard to be an optimist, but from my experience, Providian is great only for establishing and rebuilding credit (unless you had a prime card from the start). Their system is not up to par to handle a customer for an extended amount of time. You will get great line increases, but you may have to fight them about the interest rate. As for the the "invitation only" issue, I wouldn't hold your breath. I had an account for 5 and a half years and never received an invitation for a Platinum card with a low rate. This is despite have an excellent payment history, using the card heavily, obtaining prime cards and receiving an auto loan at 4.9%. When would this mysterious "invitation only" appear? :-D

Customer service is very kind from my experience, but they don't have enough to work with to keep customers for the long haul. If I could have received a prime card with Providian, I would still be a customer. Oh well.

5. matty61184

That's too bad. Maybe everyone should start writing them on their lack of ability to work with the customer in regards to upgrading of cards/lowering of interest rates. I have dealt with lots of other card companies (Capital One, Chase, B of A) and they all have worked with me. PFB did get my Classic rate from 23.99 down to 19.99%. Should I write another complaint in 6 months or so?

6. SD

SD Well-Known Member

I would contact them thru PFB earlier than 6 months. Maybe in 2-3 months.

7. matty61184

Ok, will do. Should I just say I'm unhappy with the high interest rates, and I am considering jumping ship to a competitor?

8. SD

SD Well-Known Member

That's basically what I did. I told them that I have their Providian Gold visa at 16.9 (which was also lowered from 23.99) and I wanted them to at least match that and waive the fee that I had paid for an increase, since a Providian Supervisor said they could and would.

If it doesn't work the first time around, wait and try again. Tell them you have prime cards and have way better terms and that you might cancel the GetSmart card if they can't help you. Don't say "I want to close my account" if you need the card. They have been known to do just that instead of negotiating.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!