This agency is making me steam

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Nov 12, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Okay we all know the letter I sent compliments of Kristi, they called again and told my husband he had signed and agreed to a settlement in the letter I sent. WHAT I clearly didn't date or sign the thing made sure of that. Can they not read what it said, it was a settlement agreement which stated if they didn't agree the offer was void. these people are pi$$ing me off! Now I must think of my next move, any suggestions?? Now remember this must be paid by June for mortgage, I would just hate to give them their way! maybe I can get Roni or MP or Doris K to chew them out LOL.

Mom

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: This agency is making me s

I hope you made a copy of what you sent, if not, keep that in you long term memory for next time.
    JUST TRYING TO HELP.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Mom, correct me if I am wrong. The Sol on this thing is over right? So tell them that for now to get them out of your hair. I would say to them, "listen, I was attempting to offer a settlement to pay this debt, which I did at one time owe or so you alledge that I owe. However, I never received a final bill for this debt. I never even knew I owed this debt until I saw it on my credit report. Now in fairness, I am willing to pay the debt even though I am not legally obligated to pay, to get this off my credit report. I am working on arrangements with the original creditor Peco Electric at this moment. If they agree to delete the item from my credit report, I will pay this debt. The unprofessional manner you have chosen to handle my settlement offer leads me no choice but to discontinue any further negotiations with your agency. Further, if you call me again, my next letter to you will be a cease and desist letter. If you call or write me about this debt after receiving that letter, I will see you in court. I am well aware of my writes under the Fair Debt Collection Act, so you bullying tactics will not work on me." Well, that is what I would do. Kristi or someone else may handle it different. But, that is my style. Good Luck MOm.

roni.

Momof3 wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Okay we all know the letter I sent compliments of Kristi, they called again and told my husband he had signed and agreed to a settlement in the letter I sent. WHAT I clearly didn't date or sign the thing made sure of that. Can they not read what it said, it was a settlement agreement which stated if they didn't agree the offer was void. these people are pi$$ing me off! Now I must think of my next move, any suggestions?? Now remember this must be paid by June for mortgage, I would just hate to give them their way! maybe I can get Roni or MP or Doris K to chew them out LOL.

Mom

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Mom,
    It is obvious that you are dealing with slim with this collection agency. You should deal with Peco from now on. If you dont call Peco electric by Monday, Mom I will call them my damn self. I am serious, I will simply say that this situation is happening to my sister-in-law, who moved and I want to know how they handle such a situation. I think little things like your prior payment history might matter. Like, If you had paid your bill consistently before that point Mom. Really Mom, you have 24 hours. lol.

roni.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Kristi's letter was perfect, and never in a million years constitutes an agreement to pay. This agency is not in the business of collection. They are in the business of organized crime.

Send a cease and desist letter (certified + RR).

Add a paragraph saying you agreed to pay nothing, and if they try to illegally re-age the account in your credit report, they risk facing a class action lawsuit.

I'm all FOR negotiating, but apparently they're not interested. Try corresponding again on March. Maybe it'll get to someone with a brain. If you're desperate about a mortgage on June, contact a lawyer, but first make sure you document their recent contact for your records. This will give your lawyer some leverage. He may want to explain to them they risk FTC / Attorney General investigation, or he may wish to sue and while suit is pending, reach an agreement with their attorney.

Saar

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Saar,

I dont think Mom can really consider ligitation until she sends the cease and desist letter and they contact her after that. If they are dumb enough to call her then, Mom wont need a mortgage at all. She'll buy the house up front from her nice settlement her attorney will get her. This is getting very interesting. Mom are you listening?

roni.

Saar wrote:
    Kristi's letter was perfect, and never in a million years constitutes an agreement to pay. This agency is not in the business of collection. They are in the business of organized crime.

Send a cease and desist letter (certified + RR).

Add a paragraph saying you agreed to pay nothing, and if they try to illegally re-age the account in your credit report, they risk facing a class action lawsuit.

I'm all FOR negotiating, but apparently they're not interested. Try corresponding again on March. Maybe it'll get to someone with a brain. If you're desperate about a mortgage on June, contact a lawyer, but first make sure you document their recent contact for your records. This will give your lawyer some leverage. He may want to explain to them they risk FTC / Attorney General investigation, or he may wish to sue and while suit is pending, reach an agreement with their attorney.

Saar

7. Saar

Saar Banned

May I suggest she doesn't say a thing about receiving her bill on time: First, the collector couldn't care less. Second, this might constitute acknowledgement of debt, in which case SOL is reset.

Mom, whenever you talk to them, never say anything implying you know what this debt is about or that it's even yours.

Saar

8. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: Saar,

"I dont think Mom can really consider ligitation until she sends the cease and
    desist letter"

I wasn't suggesting filing suit before that. But filing complaints with FTC / AG may be appropriate regardless, if only for the fraud involved in telling debtors they "agreed" to pay.

Saar

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Saar,
    I thought I wrote clearly that they 'alledge she owes it' and I said 'she never got a bill'. I thought that implied the debt is not hers and they are the ones saying it is her. Wording is important. But if mom got the idea from my statement that she was admitting to the debt, from forgive that and omit it. And anyway, some would say offering a settlement would be admiting to oweing it which is what her first letter was about. And it does matter if she never got the final bill. Not to the collection agency but to the final creditor. I removed two account from my credit report this year using the same reason. I even posting the letter I received from the collection agency stating that was the reason they were deleting it. But that is just me. And I say again, I am speaking from my own experience. Successful experiences as well. But that is my opinion.

roni.

Saar wrote:
    May I suggest she doesn't say a thing about receiving her bill on time: First, the collector couldn't care less. Second, this might constitute acknowledgement of debt, in which case SOL is reset.

Mom, whenever you talk to them, never say anything implying you know what this debt is about or that it's even yours.

Saar

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Saar,

When i called the FTC over a similar case they told me agreeing to pay implied that I did owe the debt. They said I could file a complaint. But lets be realistic here. Mom does owe this money. They are in their rights to keep it on her report. I suggest, negotiations with the power company who are in the business of keeping consumers happy. They may be willing to help her. I dont know why mom hasnot contacted the original creditor. They are always more willing to negotiate.

Saar wrote:
    "I dont think Mom can really consider ligitation until she sends the cease and
    desist letter"

I wasn't suggesting filing suit before that. But filing complaints with FTC / AG may be appropriate regardless, if only for the fraud involved in telling debtors they "agreed" to pay.

Saar

11. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks all

Yes I believe the sol for PA is 4 years, this bill went deliquent in 12/95, so I would assume they have expired. I did try Peco and was told is was sold and to deal with collection agency(like I have said before I am not a good people person on the phone in fact I am terrible) My ultimate goal would be to get this darn thing deleted, but after all is said and done I do have to pay it for mortgage and yes I do owe the money. I just don't like how they are lying and cheating, of course they always call when I am not home because I know what the letter said and yes I have a copy . I just want this darn thing resolved and they are making it difficult. I know I should call Peco again, but I am soo bad at that.

12. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Thanks all

Yes, mom. Peco will tell you to call the collection agency. Why? Because that is who they sold the debt to or hired to collect the debt. But maybe, just maybe you could take to a customer service supervisor, or someone at peco who handles delinq accounts and explain your story. You didnt do anything wrong mom. Millions have been in your shoes. Tell them like you told me that you were a peco customer for 20 years. Ask them to delete the delinq. as a cust. courtesy. The worse that could happen is they say no. I would not loose anymore sleep over this one Mom. You have balances to pay down on your cards. I would just send the cease and desist letter pronto. Go to Kristi's site or the qualitycreditrepair free book for a sample letter. That is urgent. If they get stupid and call you after that letter, it is an entirely different ballgame. I plan to call peco in the morning and as them how they would handle a situation like this. I have plenty of free time at work between patients. I am a peco customer myself, and I am interested in finding out why they are so a pain verses PSE&G. Also Mom, if Peco is indeed a deadend. I think this debt has reached its final stages of negotiations, which isnot a big deal. Since you admit you will pay it before a mortgage, you as a final straw will pay the debt (it is small right?) and dispute the item. Scumbag collection agencies usually dont verify once they get the money. But not always. The very worse you will end up with is a paid collection from 1995. Big deal. Also, I am not sure if you tried this or not. This may be reaching, but you could send them a prove it or remove it letter. If they dont mail you proof in 30 days you can take this to another level. I dont know how much fight you have in you though mom. But that is always an option. Tell me what you are thinking. Mom?

roni.

13. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

thanks Roni, I just want this darn thing over with. I will try Peco again and if that is a dead end, I will of course send the C & D letter and not pay them until we are nearer to the mortgage. Yes the item is only 246.00, which I can pay. On one hand I just want this done with, you know, but on the otherhand after their sneaky lies to my husband I don't want them winning either. Did I mention I never told my hubby about this bill, surprise, surprise when he got the first call, he had no idea what they were talking about. yes I know people will say I should have told him, BUT I was hoping to get this cleared up on my own and he would be none the wiser to it. Oh well the cat is out of the bag LOL. He was fine he said just pay it and of course I tried to explain the unpaid/paid on reports, he said okay then don't pay it I said we have to for mortgage, he said make up your mind LOL. And we were Peco customers for about 4 years before we moved.

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

To MOM.

Sounds like a plan. Dont think of it as them winning. Maybe they are stupid. And didnot understand your letter. Kristi's letter was quite eloquent. Like I said, maybe they are stupid. Never know. But the only one who will win here is you. Alot of people wait until they are mortgage shopping to find out about unpaid debts. You have ahead of the game. And you are exhausting all options to get the best rate possible. They are not winning mom. They have the worse job in the world and are doing a miserable job at it. You will always be the victor in this situation. Send that letter whether you call peco or not. Whether Peco agrees or not. The C&D letter is urgent. And I know you know why. I want to add something else. Even when it looks like you are losing, you might just be winning. I got the guarantors of all my student loans deleted from Experian. That is 12 paid collections gone. Awesome. It took time of course. Did I cry and feel Defeated along the way? Yes. But that is done now. I still have equifax to go cause those slimballs reinserted it. But I will jump back on it. So with exquifax I currently have 3 deleted. and 9 reinserted. Transunion, I have 9 deleted. I havenot heard from transunion since junum disputed in sept. But what I am getting at, like everyone has told you it takes time. I am sorry your husband busted you like that. lol. That's what you get for keeping secrets. just joking mom. I wish you the best of luck. Keep me posted.

roni.

15. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Roni:)

Thanks Roni, you always know what to say. yes in the end I will win reagardless of how this turns out, I will be in my new home this time next year and this will be history. And yes it seems every secret I try to hide, I get busted maybe I should stop NAH that wouldn't be any fun LOL.

Mom

16. Saar

Saar Banned

Someone (don't recall who) with similar experience tas told by original creditor to talk with the collection agency. They've sent the creditor a check anyway, which was cashed. As soon as they received the canceled check, they disputed the debt directly with the collection agency claiming it was already paid, and had it removed.

Saar

17. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Hey Mom,

Tell them to send you the signed agreement they are referring to

Maybe the dumb arses will sign that agreement and send it to you for proof

hehehe

if I were you, I send them the agreement again

Kelly

18. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

That was my idea....

I did this before with a cable bill! It went to collections so I mailed the cable company a check w/ my old account number on it. They cashed it and I took the canceled check down to the collection agency and broke it down like Charlie Brown!

Mom: Just mail Peco the check!

19. Carrot

Carrot Guest

RE: That was my idea....

I did that with an old Sprint bill, too, and it worked. You should give it a try Mom.

20. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

MP's Ready!

Just give me the number and I'll call! That's not a problem!

My whole philosophy is this:

I've dealt with and been through a lot of crap in my 27 years. One thing I do know about my self is that I'm no PUNK! I will never accept defeat and if all else fails, I'M GOIN DOWN SWINGIN!

So Mom, if you have to *go down*......go down swingin (i.e. pay them the money, then work from there).

What ever happened to the 'paying them the money' idea in exchange for them not being able to 'release any information' about the account? I forgot what that's called...a confidetiality agreement? Or in exchange for them purging the account from there records? This is so when you dispute, it will probably come back unverified because either 1. they can't release or report any information or 2. they won't have any information to report since it was deleted from their records. What happened to these ideas??????