This Fri. stinks..thanks Equifax

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dani, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Well, I got my Amex credit line reporting on my Equifax report (yea), but my husband currently has no credit history with Equifax. They have merged both of our reports onto my social #! Yesterday, I called rampaging only to be told I had to dispute all his accounts off my report. I said, "no you don't get it. This is Equifax's problem, not mine." We're suppose to meet with the mortgage lender in two weeks to begin processing the loan for our house; and my husband has no credit. Great, wonderful. What the hell are they smoking?! How can they take two different socials and merge it into one person. Their excuse to me was that our names are similar (true, but our birthdates aren't similar, our social security # aren't similar...Hello?).
    I'm so ticked. I spoke to a supervisor and she asked me if I could fax the information and she would take it from there. She seemed sincere. I can only hope this mess gets straightened out. As for right now, I have a total of 28 accounts, three cars, 50 inquiries (including ARs, and PRMs) and I owe $48000 worth of debt (but that's my three car loans). Fortunately, my husband has good credit so everything is R1 and I1, but I kinda look like I have overextended myself.

Dani

PS This is not the time for me to apply for that Amex LOC.

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Dani,

How terrible! I hope they will fix it quickly. I think they will, since it is pretty simple to "unmerge" merged reports. If you tell the supervisor that your house approval is on the line and if they cause you to lose it b/ of their obvious mistake, they will bear that responsibility in court, and will "suffer the consequences". They will un-merge it, no problem.

Best wishes,

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Thanks, Marci. I just don't understand how it happened. All I did was dispute my credit line with Amex. I didn't dispute anything on my husband's report. His name was not even mentioned. I called our mortgage broker this morning and left a message just explaining the situation. I just don't want this to mess up our mortgage especially since Freddie Mac is to pull our reports again right before closing. I may be worrying over nothing, but still what an inconvenience.

Dani

4. far gone

far gone Well-Known Member

That happen to me and equifax made me dispute all the items that were not mine not only that but I had to contact the creditors on the report to tell them as well...at least it was your husband they merged mine with someone that lived in the complex I moved in..not only did they give me all of her bad credit they even changed my name to hers. The ss# were different names were similar but diff and it took me over a year to fix it and it is still not right because they would not take her inq's off...they said nothing we can do about it. I cannot believe that happen to someone besides me...and it was a nightmare!!!!! walked around with letter for months....

5. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Thanks, far gone for sharing your experience. Fortunately, they merged mine with my husband's so I hope it won't take as long to dispute, but what a mess. All because of a simple letter to correctly report my credit line. I knew it was going to come back and haunt me. I can only hope it doesn't affect my loan because that could get ugly.

Dani

6. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Dani, you are correct to "worry" over this. Don't minimize their error. It is a big deal.

I'd call back every hour on the hour to make sure that they have unmerged your reports. Talk to a supervisor each time (record their names/ team numbers, etc...) and tell that supervisor that your house is on the line b/c of THEIR mistake. Tell them that your mortage broker is now involved. Demand that they fix this now - not in 30 days - not next week - not tomorrow - but NOW. Call their "consumer affairs" department (i.e legal department) and speak with a manager. Tell them the same thing. Tell them you'll make sure they pay in court if you lose the house or interest rate based on their mistake.

NanaC had some similar thing happen and by talking on the phone, and demanding immediate recourse, they (yes, Equifax) fixed it that very same day.

I wish you the best and keep the board updated,

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TAKE COPIES OF ALL YOUR BILLS WITH PREVIOUS CREDIT REPORTS YOU MAY HAVE AND EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM TO THE LENDER...

8. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I spoke to our lender yesterday afternoon. She said since she pulls a merged report it doesn't matter which of our reports it shows up on as long as the debt is not being reported twice. Fortunately, it is not. She told me it won't be a problem concerning the home purchase since she is aware of the circumstances. I have to start pestering Equifax on Monday to make sure these reports are being corrected. They have completely hurt my husband's and my chances of establishing any new credit, since we live in Virginia everyone pulls Equifax. All in all, it is just a nuisance and takes time away when I could be doing something else. Luckily, I have our current credit reports (as of August) so if it comes to that I have proof. On a personal level, I just want to scream.

Dani

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOU CAN GO OVER IT LINE BY LINE WITH THEM IF THEY HAVE ANY QUESTIONS...