This is odd...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by hoodoo76, Mar 9, 2011.

1. hoodoo76

hoodoo76 New Member

I received a notice from the court today that I owed the court $98 from a case 2 years ago. The case is where I was sued by a credit card, but before the deadline came on that case, I filed a bankruptcy. The plaintiff's attorney then moved to dismiss the case and I have papers stating that the case was dismissed.

The papers I received from the court do not indicate what the mysterious $98 is for. The case was indeed included in my bk. This sounds like it is for court fees obviously, but wouldn't that be the plaintiff's responsibility and not mine?

To top it off, it states that it will be turned over to a collection agency soon and gives me 30 days to pay. I filed bk to stop the financial implosion that was happening all around me, and I think it's really strange that of all people, a court would come after me for money. They should know more than anyone about bk laws. I truly do not feel I owe any money for any case that was part of my bk, and I am sending a letter to the court tomorrow with the facts of the cases.

Any input?

2. Cathy

Cathy Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was actually from the court? Or just papers looking like they are from the court. What collection agency are they claiming it will be turned into? I have a funny feeling this is just a scare tactic from the collection agency..........

3. hoodoo76

hoodoo76 New Member

Yes, it's actually from the court. It has their return address and everything. It's not very professional looking at all. I think they used a 20 font on it and the date is whited out and the then hand written on.

It says the account remains unpaid "even though notices have been sent previously." Since the case was dismissed 2 years ago, this is the first notice they've ever sent me about money owed. Not sure what they're on!?!