Those Providian reps!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by S.D., Feb 7, 2001.

1. S.D.

S.D. Guest

I just called to negotiate my apr down to either 19.9 or 16.9 from my current wich is 21.9. I told them that I was receiving offers with those types of rates and I had a friend who had the card for 4 months and had her interest reduced from 23.99 down to 16.9.

She put me on hold, and when she came back, she said they weren't negotiating APRs right now. I said, " There's nothing you can do? I use this card often and it's hard w/ the high APR and no grace..." She just repeated what she had told me earlier.

I'm going to call back a little later and ask directly for Retention. I think the reason she didn't budge was because I've used up about 65% of my limit and she knows I'm not going anywhere. Even if i were to close my acct, I'd still owe them big time.

I'll keep all of you posted...

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Keep after 'em, S.D., eventually one of the reps will budge. The interest rate you're stuck with now is outrageous!

Donna

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Call 800-215-7318

Tell them you're irritated because you have an Aria card and a Prov and you can't log on w/ both accounts... they know this is a problem. If you switched to one of those better offers you could actually access your account online. In the course of trying to make you happier you let them talk for a minute or 2 then talk interest rates. I don't think 65% makes a bit of difference... I had 80% when I did it! Course, if you've only had your account a short while that doesn't help.. but I think if you have a reason you're unhappy (not just "I want a better rate") they might do it. If they don't go for APR try rebate of annual fee or line increase. They are there to make you happier. I try to be nice but tell them I'm more than irritated (I try to set myself apart from most people who call in and are mean). I've actually been told that I'm so much nicer than most people who call in. I figure I'd do more for a friend than for an enemy... so I take the same approach w/them. If nothing works, call back next month. Persistence is the key! :)

4. S.D.

S.D. Guest

RE: Thanks guys

Marie, I will try this approach. I'm kind of a sucker when it comes to things like this. I just say, "oh, okay" and walk away instead of just going for it. I guess I'm a bit embarrassed to ask and get turned down, but I do know that I have no reason to be scared to ask for better rates! I need to look out for me, right? II'll call that number in a little while. Gotta work up the nerve and prepare my lines! LOL

5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: Call 800-215-7318

Marie is right, you catch more flys with honey than you do with vinegar. I stumbled across this website this AM. There, Chase employees have voiced thier opinions, along with disgruntled card holders. Provides very interesting reading.

http://chasebanksucks.com

6. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Marie

The Aria acct is the one that I cannot access. I already have the regular Providian card registered, and this is the card that I am trying to get a lower Apr on. Will it matter? Seems to me that this tactic may work with Aria (since I can't access this acct online), but I'm not too sure about my Gold card...

7. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Hooray!

Thanks Marie for that magic phone #!!!! I stumbled my way thru the conversation with the rep (Very nice, by the way). I stuck to the same line as before (receiving better offers, can we negotiate terms because I use the acct often and have no grace...). He asked if I paid the balance in full every month (told him sometimes). Then he immediately said that he can reduce me down to 16.9%, but since my acct is still new, couldn't do grace. After a year, I'm able to negotiate and they will consider bumping me to the package w/ grace.
    My 16.9 becomes effective my next cycle, which is about a week away.

I also asked why I couldn't access two accounts (Aria and Providian) online. He told me that originally the online feature was set up for Aria, but then Providian joined in. I think he said that they are working on allowing multiple accts access and should be done in 60 days? I'm so excited about my APR, I don't remember when the access would become available!
    Anyway... Maybe I'll try Aria next.

I'm all tingly from the excitement!

Thanks everyone! Woohoo! =0D

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Hooray!

That's great S.D., it pays NOT to give up:)

Mom

9. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

GO S.D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the same thing, but I actually have a grace on my Providian visa (not my MC though). The guy just went through this thing about "can't call to get an increase" blah blah, 120 days - WHATEVER!!!

I've had this card for a year and he didn't even flinch. I said, "I want to reduce my APR". He said his thing and lower it to 16.9. Now mind you, I'm MAXED OUT! Only have like 11cents left. Not even a studder did he do. SO YOU GO!

10. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Thanks, girl!! By the way... You did great yourself!! Lucky you with that grace period. But now that my APR is much lower, I don't mind as much =0)

Also...The rep didn't studder, but I did!! LOL I wasn't expecting him to give in so easily and all I could say was "uh ~silence~" Eventially I just blurted out "thank you sooo much!"... Caught me way off guard. <snicker>

My advice to all... be very persistent. The worst they could say is no.

11. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Now go for Aria, multiple card

Now we're having fun!!! You all are great!!!
    Congratulations!!! :)

I play this like it's a total game! "What will they give me this month?" is my thought! Ok, now let's play this like a team and see where their limits really "might" be. Although I still like to push what they say they can't do... :)

If you have multiple cards w/Prov... call them and talk about the other card! I actually did 2 cards on one call one time. Got 2 annual fees rebated back to back (figured if he was in such an nice mood, might as well ask)! Visa then Mc! So, if you're interest is their lowest 16.9, go for the annual fee or the grace period! All else fails, ask about line increases! I call Prov about every 2-3 months on terms, and every 120+ on the limit increases!

And if you have an ARIA, I'm really interested in what you get. I called them the DAY I got my Aria visa (3 weeks ago, don't even have my first stmt yet). Told them I was very disappointed in the terms, the limit, and of all things, I can't even access the account online! (BUT I did it nicely:)) Maybe I shouldn't have even gotten this extra card...

By the way, the terms were So Prov. 1000 line, 59 fee, 23.99, I did get an intro rate for 3 statements... so I really did want to use the card. All I got from Aria was the 59 back... not bad for not even charging a stick of gum yet :)

I was told that they don't have the abilities that Prov does... can't reduce interest rate (we'll see when my intro rate runs out), can't upgrade to Gold from Classic, but that their line increases will by VERY aggressive like Prov and they're trying to add better packages this year. To me, it's worth it to build lines of credit. Build limits, then work on terms is my motto.

So I'm very curious for those of you who have Aria.. Call and have fun w/them and please post your results. Once we know what they can do we all can maximize their systems :) Congrats again!!!

12. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

RE: Now go for Aria, multiple

So you think it's worth my time to call and ask for a APR reduction on my MC also? (P.S. I don't have a grace period on that one)

13. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

RE: Now go for Aria, multiple

Absolutely! If you've had the card longer than 4 months and you carry balances go for the APR... or for the 59 fee (if that's what you've got). I'd do it this way..
    I've been having problems w/the online system... I've got 2 cards anyway, guess I don't really need another one if it's THAT inconvenient to access... I can't make the FREE online payments to my MC... Hmmmm. Don't you agree that I should cancel this card? Ha! (let them start offering)
    Then, as they're offering lower APR (say only 19.9 from 23.99) I'd let them know.. but my Visa is so much better b/c I have such good credit w/you...only 16.9... and this extra annual fee is So Expensive... hmmm... I just don't know what to do...

I'd go for the APR and then if you get that... I'd say, well, that's at least as good as my other card... but that extra 59 annual fee is So much... and I don't even have a grace period like I do on the other card (try to get a rebate on the 59 or try for the grace).
    Look, it's totally normal since you've already proven yourself a good cardholder to expect the Same or BETTER terms on your second card. You've already done the time. You DESERVE this! Besides, w/no grace and a Big APR, how much do they expect you to use it anyway? This is just reality. (remember.. be as Nice as you can be!). and post how you do. As for worth your time... if you get the APR down or get 59 back.. I don't know... do you make 59 for 5 minutes work? If so, I want your career!!!

14. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

S.D... Call Aria :)

Post how you do w/Aria! I only got the annual fee rebated but they didn't budge on APR. Curious how well you do w/them. Definitely mention the website issue. :) and try for APR and fee!!!! This is getting fun!

15. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

NO HELP TO ME!!

I am so irritated with providian. You all seem to have gotten the nice reps. I called Providian about monthly for 6 months asking to lower my rate. Sorry... NO. Then after seeing that some on here have 16.9 I was really pissed. I finally got them to lower it to 19.4 from 20.4 last month. I have NO late pays, by the way.

So when Marie posted the direct retention number I called it. The guy took my acct. number and couldn't find my acct. Tried to find it with my social (no luck)and then said, "oh I need to transfer you to Aria" CLICK. The Aria girl said, "you have a MC, we only do Visa" I told her I know, but the guy cut me off so quick I couldn't tell him that. She transferred me back to customer service. I told the rep that I wanted to speak to retention. Oh, she said she could help me with whatever I wanted. I said no I want retention. She asked what I wanted to talk to them about... she could help me with anything. I said I wanted to negotiate my rates and ask some questions about closing my account. She said I can do that. STILL REFUSING TO TRANSFER ME! I gave her the story. Rate too high, been a cardholder for 7 years, etc. She said she couldn't lower my rate. I had the lowest rate. I said NO I did not. I wouldn't give up and she gave me to a supervisor. I again asked to speak to retention, NO DICE. Supervisor said they don't lower rates over the phone. I said I had friends that got lower rates over the phone. I told her I know several people who dropped to 16.9 and I didn't feel 19.4 for a 7 year card golder was fair. I had other offers. She wouldn't budge. She finaly asked me if I wanted my account to REMAIN CLOSED!!! I said my account IS NOT CLOSED. She said the rep told her I closed my account and then changed my mind. I said, I beg your pardon, I DID NOT. I said I wanted to ask questions about closing my account. Especially since I still have a balance on the account.

I was and still am so pissed I could chew someones head off. I sent a scathing letter from planetfeedback so we will se what happens. They should also be getting a $2500 check soon to transfer that off to another card. I will still have a medium balance on their after that.

Sorry so long, but I hate that stupid company.

Judy