Those that included AMEX in BK

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Chet, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

For those that included American Express in theiry Bankruptcy, a quick question:

I included Amex in my 1992 BK and the tradeline still shows up only on Experian. But, it shows as a positive tradeline - never late (which I wasn't, only the last payment), but it does say that the account is inactive. I believe this should have fallen off of my reports after 7 years (everything else did). Does Amex purposely keep this on so that it will appear after 7 years, so that they can monitor your old account if you ever try to apply for credit again?

Does anyone have this tradeline showing on Experian?

Thanks

Chet

2. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Re: Those that included AMEX i

AMEX forgets nothing.. If you had owed them anything during the BK, you will not be able to open another account with them unless you pay what was owed, if any..

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I included an Optima gold card in my 1998 Bk. Unfortunately, it shows as a negative.

Chet, I think that just due to a mistake the account remained in the EX report for all of these years. Now it is hurting your credit as the account is inactive. I would request EX to delete the item now. As I remember, you had a Chap 7. If so, I would apply for AMEX in 2002 when the 10 years is up. You probably will be denied but what the heck. Maybe their internal records don't last forever and you will get a new account.

BTW - It has been 3 weeks on the GM card and still no answer. LOL

4. cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Chet, I included them. Mine was shown as included in BK and disappeared in 2000 - 7 years after filing.

Cadman

5. rick

rick Well-Known Member

I filed in 1991 and Experian still showed my account also!!! I sent them a dispute to have it shown as closed, and they just deleted it.

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

pay them back

when I called Amex (b/c I couldn't even be an AU on a Platinum holder's card) they said it's b/c of their internal records.

If you pay them in full, wait one year (plus maybe a couple of weeks b/c the cycle has to update) then you'll be off the list.

If you don't pay them, even if it's off your cra, you will NEVER get another Amex product.

You might be able to do what Dogman did and pay them and then apply shortly after that, get denied, talk with a real person, and get accepted. your choice whether to wait the 1 year for their records to update.

7. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Re: pay them back

A friend of mine included Amex in a bk approx. 11 years ago?? She applied for a card and was declined. When she called to ask the reason, they informed her of the previous account balance. She was transferred to the collection dept. where she was given the account number, where to send the payment etc. Once paid, she called the number to check her status. They showed the account as paid and reactivated her application. She was approved. They did not tell her to pay it, she chose to. Good luck!

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Marie - Your Re Correct

Gotta pay them - even if it doesn't show on your credit report - AMEX AGAIN - simply keeps your bad data forever -
    until the situation described by Marie occurs.

Cya dogman

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

EXACTLY Miles

Amazing how when people screw up and cannot get the Cards-
    then yrs later get them again because people REPAY AMEX debt - even twenty or thirty yrs later.

I bet that rate of payback - completely voluntarily by each Cardmember - is different for the holders of the valuable Cross Country Bank Gold Visa with the possible $500-$5000 limit and monthly fees.