ticket/collection/confused

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tessa, Mar 28, 2001.

1. tessa

tessa Guest

I don't think I've seen this problem here.
    recently found out that I have a collections on my experian report. It's for a parking ticket on a college campus. I did not get the ticket(since I was out of town on that date). The question is - what do I do about the collection? Do I ask to validate the ticket (would they have to send me a copy of it?) And couldn't they just make one up since its a campus ticket?
    I haven't been notified by the collection agency- but its only 2 years old.
    Any ideas?

2. carl

carl Guest

more opinions,please!!!

I don't know the answer, but its an interesting situation.
    Could people give an opinion even if they're not sure of the answer?

3. tessa

tessa Guest

lizardking ???

I haven't done anything yet. I just found out about it.
    Should I challenge it with the experian first? What would I write?
    What does it mean to have the cra verify it?
    thanks! I've learned alot from you and the people here.
    Its so aggravating- I know its not my ticket, but what the heck to do?
    (And a collections for a parking ticket ARGGHHHHH!)

4. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Source?

Hmm.......can you prove you were out of town? Maybe you could approach the reporting campus from that angle if you can, and if they confirm a mistake they can have it removed I'm sure.

5. tessa

tessa Guest

Re: Source?

I did talk to the campus, anonomously. They don't care if I was out of town since it was my car that was ticketed , not me. Also, I don't think I could "prove" I was out-of-town, since it was 3 years ago now.
    Thanks for the thought though!

6. tessa

tessa Guest

I think they must have used the data from registration, but I don't really know.
    Okay, I'll try challanging Experian first.
    Could you direct me to a letter to use?
    thanks much!

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

It's not easy to get out of a parking ticket by claiming that someone else parked the car. Ask the CRA to verify. If that doesn't remove it, offer to pay it in exchange for deletion. An unpaid parking tickets on credit reports is ridiculous and I doubt that the scoring models are sophisticated enough to treat them any differently than a credit card charge-off. The main thing is to get this off your report no matter what.

8. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

As for parking tickets, the responsibility is to the owner of the auto, and not who is driving or not driving. Recently in the news, a man was arrested on a warrant for non-paying parking tickets that his son incurred while away at school.

As for disputing it, yes ask the CRA to verify when and where the incident occured.

Best regards,
    Sam