Timing of apps for silver/gold AA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by IrishDiva, Sep 5, 2001.

1. IrishDiva

IrishDiva Well-Known Member

OK - thanks to the inspiration of the board and following in everyone's footsteps, I am going to apply for the silver and gold AA cards. Question - what is the timing. That is, shoudl I apply for silver tomorrow and then gold on Friday? Or, apply for silver and wait for approval and then gold? What if I am denied? Go for the gold anyway? I remember reading a post of Roni's that mentioned not more than 1 application every 30 days or they both get cancelled. WHat I want to do is get both and upgrade to Plat and do some BTs to get rid of my 3 sub-primes (@1400 total) and just have that, my Citi Gold World Card and my cap 1 gold (Mr. Miller rocks!). Thanks everyone for your input!

Kate

Who's husband just doens't understand the credit cleanup and is convinced I'm going out to make a huge purchase.

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Based on my experience, I'd apply for both cards simultaneously. Try for the silver first. If you get that, then go for the gold.

However, if you don't get the silver...and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will...I would stop there. Perhaps, at that point, you would want to plead your case with Citi.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I got both of my Citi cards at the same time and, like so many here, I've combined them and upgraded to the Plat Select.

Donna

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

i always get the "Please wait 7-10 days" and get my cards. 3 times so far.

Citi overlooks old baddies, but not new ones. BK = no card. Past Citi anything = no card.

I STRONGLY suggest finding out which bureau they pull then dispute anything that would look bad to them.

If you get approval, immediately go for the gold, you will get it...

good luck!!

4. IrishDiva

So, if I get the please wait 7-10 days for a decision on silver, charge right back into the website and apply for gold? Actually, when I first applied last year and got the Gold World Mastercard (I couldn't follow Roni's instructions then <grin>) I got the 7-10 day message and figured, oh well! Imagine my suprise when I got home a week later and found a real prime card for me!! I just don't want to make a mis-step and goof things up for me. THanks!

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

When I applied to Citi, I received instant approval for both cards. After I got the silver, I couldn't resist trying for the gold.

If you apply for the silver and get the we'll notify you within seven to ten days response, my inclination would be to hold off on the gold. Wait until you get a response on your silver ap. That way, you won't look too eager and maybe your chances of getting the silver would be increased. But, if you're instantly approved for the silver, then definitely head for the gold.

Good luck.

Donna

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Just apply for the silver first. When it asks you if you are currently a customer, select yes and after you enter your card information and 3 digit number on the back of the card, it will autofill your info into the credit application (i.e. name, address, etc.). Then you have to fill in the rest of the details. Remember everything that you put on the application (i.e. salary amount, rent or own, years at address). Remember it ALL! If you get instant approval for Silver, accept it...print out the necessary info....then go directly back and apply for Gold using the EXACT same info as you did on the Silver application. If you DO NOT get instant approval for Silver, STOP RIGHT THERE!

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

If you already have one credit card, that changes how it will work. Very likely you will get #2.. I used the "Previous cardholder app" and it doesnt ever give me a instant approval, Just comes in about 10 business days.

Remember only TWO affinity cards are allowed. You can't have a World AA card and get two more.

8. IrishDiva

Wow - thanks everyone! What great and quick responses! I will be trying tomorrow before I start work, so wish me luck! I'll grab my World card out of the freezer so I can have all my card information.

BTW - since I already have the world gold, should I apply for the silver?

And I had not realized that the World gold card would keep me from obtaining both silver and gold AA; I thought it was separate from that.

Kate

9. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I forgot about not being able to have more than 2 AA cards. Just apply for silver only and stop there.

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

1. Apply for silver.

if approved, convert product to platinum select (standard non/aa)

then apply for gold...

11. IrishDiva

You all are "da bomb" as the girls at work say! THanks everyone for your advice and I will post results tomorrow. Keep fingers and toes tightly crossed! I really need to get rid of my sub primers that way I can just use that card (silver or Plat select) as my BT card and pay those puppies down!

Kate
    getting unreasonably excited

12. IrishDiva

OK - I filled out the application for silver AA after picking yes I have a citibank card, and got this message "as soon as we finish processing this application we will send the results to the address listed on your application."

Not the 7-10 days, but not an instant decline. I think that's the message I got last year when I applied for the World Card. If they still pull Experion, that is my best one; only one paid charge-off that comes off in February of next year. Heck, that's the one they pulled when they gave me the world card with a $2500 CL.

13. sam

sam Well-Known Member

don't sweat it you'll get the card :) 3 times for me, same message. Even my SO who got a MBNA platinum plus got that message and was all sad, and whaddya know $5000 limit.
    I don't think the gold's come less than $5000 limit.

14. IrishDiva

Great - I wonder what the minimum CL for the silver is. That's what I applied for and if I get it I will go back and see what else I can get, and call custoemr service to do an upgrade/combo with my world gold. Ah, decisions, decisions!!

15. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Sam, I have a quick question for you. I currently have a AAdvantage Worldcard Platinum card (10K basic limit) and a Dividend Platinum Select card (9K limit). These were converted from an AAdvantage Gold account and an AAdvantage Silver account, respectively. I just opened the accounts and converted the cards within the past week and a half.

I want to get one more Citi card and I know that I can't apply again for at least 60 days. What would you do? Wait the 60 days, then apply online (as an existing cardholder) for a Gold AAdvantage card? Or do I have to apply for a different affinity card?

What are your thoughts? My goal is to end up with three different, platinum or gold level cards with limits of $9K and up. How would you approach this task? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

-chriscraft

16. sam

sam Well-Known Member

convert one of the cards to a normal citi card, and wait 60 days. no need to waste inquiries. I myself was denied for the 60 day rule. Got the paper sitting next to me. its real alright..

17. IrishDiva

Update on Silver AA card

Well, I got the NO letter, and then requested the reason why letter. Due to ratio of balances to credit limit and # of inquiries. This is the first denial letter that doesn't list a derog, so that's something! I used PF this morning to request reconsideration, and that I would be using the card to BT two small balance cards which would then be closed and to BT about half my Cap 1 balance. I hope this works. ANyone have any experience using PF to overturn a denial? THanks,
    Kate