To: Chet - Re: GM card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Yesterday, you asked me about the GM card I applied for.

I applied on-line at the GM web site. There may be more than one way to apply on-line as General Motors has a number of web sites. It was definitely a General Motors card with the 5% rebate mentioned. A friend of mine has had the card for a few years and has accumulated $3,000 or so to use on the purchase of a Suburban. He has had good luck with the card.

When I applied, I was given a message stating that I would get an answer in 10 -14 days. As you know, I expect a rejection and really couldn't care less as I have 9 tradelines and have never owned a GM auto. When I applied, it seemed like a good idea. In retrospect it was not. I never saw "Platinum" mentioned anywhere.

The Target card I got earlier this week ($500 limit) is actually much more useful as my daughter and I enjoy light gardening and they sell a lot of other products we use. When I reduce the number of my credit accounts in 2 years, I will keep the Target account. I hope you saw my thread about getting the target card. I would not apply for a "Household Finance" card. They have a unacceptable reputation in my mind.

Best wishes - Jim

P.S. If you applied on-line for the GM card did they respond with the 10-14 day message.

2. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Yes they did. I got the 10-14 day message.

I also was not aware that I was applying for a Platinum card Jim. Honestly, I would not have wasted my time applying for a platinum card because I know that I would have been denied. Your absolutely right, in retrospect it was a bad idea!

But I look at it this way Jim, I can afford to burn some inquires now, because my BK will fall off in another year, and when it is gone, I will only apply for a few prime cards and cancel all of the junk! And I plan on "never" getting any of the cards who have denied me (Juniper, GM Card) when I am in prime land. They had their chance to build a relationship with me now, and decided to deny me instead.

I don't know about you friend, but I can't wait until all of this is a distant memory :)

Chet