To Dave: Re AT&T Universal

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JacquiG, Sep 7, 2000.

1. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,

I'm posting this as a new topic since the original one is so far down now...

As Steven Z mentioned (hi there!), I've received a lot of pre-approved (not pre-selected or pre-defined or whatever) offers from AT&T. Ignored the previous ones, then finally responded (Sept 99). Turned down. Received another one in Oct 99 - held it for a week or so, called it in. Turned down again. Got a break for a few months, received pre-approved in July 00 (?). Tried to reply online, but they couldn't 'find' my pre-approval number. Trashed it. Guess what? August 00 brings my second pre-approval for this cycle. Go online, it recognizes me this time, and I finish the app. I say "yeah, right", shred the pre-approval. Exactly 8 days later, received my very own, brand-new $5K platinum Universal card. I thought it was my decline notice. Who knew?

I've only used the account once - to transfer a balance. When I called to get info, the rep asks if I have the card in front of me (I don't), so she says she'll call me back tomorrow. She actually did. I guess it was done electronically, because it posted in 3 days. I also activated the card, but only because you have to in order to use the all-electronic option (no paper statements) and sign up for internet payments.

Sorry this is so long, but basically all I can say is that their customer service was wonderful. My statement hasn't even closed yet, and I haven't made any payments, so 'so far, so good'.

2. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

Pre-Approved yet denied

That only proves the truth... there are no real pre-approvals anymore. Especially, if they ask you to provide more info than a signature.

Congrats on the CitiBank/At&t Universal Plat. Card!

Peace,

BarryN

3. RITA

RITA Guest

RE: Pre-Approved yet denied

I ALSO RECEIVED AN OFFER. IT DID NOT SAY PRE APPROVED BUT INSTEAD IT WAS 2.9% APR WITH BALANCE TRANSFER BERFORE JUL 01. NOW HOW DID THEY GET MY NAME ON TO THEIR MAILING LIST. I HAVE 1 GOOD TRADE LINE ON MY CREDIT WHICH IS A CAR THAT'S BEING FINANCED AND DMB CREDIT CARD FOR $500 THAT HAS JUST BEEN REPORTED IN AUGUST, AND A $250 VISA WITH FNB. WOULD I EVEN STAND A CHANCE?

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: To Dave: Re AT&T Unive

I'm happy to hear you got your card and that customer service is good. I applied by phone a few days ago (the website said my preapproval number was out of date but I had received a renewed offer stamped "2nd Notice Offer Extended"). I told them I wanted to transfer a balance from a 16% card to the promotional 2.9 rate. By the way, the non-promotional apr of 14.49 isn't bad either. i have a good balance to credit limit ratio and recently paid off a car loan but (downside) I did open two other accounts recently one to shift balances into a lower APR and the other a line of credit for my business. I also closed a high APR card with a $5K limit. Let you know what happens.

5. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Sure there are. As long as they're sub sub-prime secured cards.

But as I've mentioned before, I'm glad the word has gotten out about how FAKE these "pre-approvals" are and the negative results on one's credit score from the inevitable rejection resulting in more people trashing these 'spurious' offers and thus in turn has led to fewer of these being sent out.

On another site a Sears rep actually ADMITTED that many legitimate applicants with good credit histories get declined soley because they do not have sufficient personnel to process them!; apparently they receive gobs of applications.

Wonder if or how many other companies this is the case with.

6. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

They have Gobs of them....

maybe thats how CCB handles the gobs of payments they get everyday. (Check the trash before you shut out the lights)

Peace,

BarryN

7. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Logically speaking no, you wouldn't and shouldn't stand a chance and should just trash it.

But, if you haven't had too many recent inquiries then you might go for it and perhaps be one of the less than 1% that somehow fluke it out. I wouldn't care for those odds.

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Steven, you are a fountain of rare and useful information.

I still think that "pre-approved" offers are a lot less fake than other offers, i.e., declined a lot less often. The real toilet paper would be those stupid "pre-selected" offers from Discover, which we discussed a few days ago.

One of the great benefits of this site is that we can exchange facts (not insults, Hubert X!) and gradually find out that fakeness is inherent not in any one type of offer, but in certain banks that send out offers while intending to decline them.

9. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Steven is right: you don't stand much of a chance. Yet a modest credit record without any blemishes can be powerfully attractive to certain issuers, for example Citibank. Again, Steven is right that you should apply if you can afford an inquiry.

10. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

Fakeness..... well put, huh Steven?!

hehe

BarryN