To Dogman,or Jason RE-Cobaltcard

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by once38, Jul 8, 2001.

1. once38

once38 Well-Known Member

In the cobalt thread that's running people are saying
    that even though they ask for your social,they do not
    run credit,just verify your identity.I called cobalt
    customer service and the csr checked with her
    supervisor and said that any past negative account with amex would not be an issue.(bk,chargeoff, etc.)
    I am skeptical and definitely want to let sleeping dogs lie.How can I find out if this is good info.

2. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

This is probably somewhere in the archives of this board, but it's a lazy Sunday for me!

How does AMEX Cobalt report on your CR? Do they show limits, etc?

Thanks...

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Cobaltcard neither checks your credit nor reports to CRAs.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

They don't report it. All they do is check your identity. It is not a credit card, it is a debit card that you can fund from your bank account or another credit card.

breeze

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

They are telling you straight I believe. Try for it anyway - there's no credit check - c ya dogman

its a nice looking card - BUT - to make it really advantageous, they need to allow many funding sources.

I tried adding a new card and it resrticted me to just one funding source at this time. Hmmm...

BUT its a great looking card.

I know you will get it. They send the plastic for $20!
    c ya dogman

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Just one funding source? hmmm, That didn't happen to me. I wonder what's up? Why should they care?

breeze

7. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info...but I just don't see what the benefit is for having it, especially since I'm in a "rebuilding" mode (besides being able to say I have a personal Amex --already have a Corporate Amex)...and it doesn't report..

Somone please change my mind.... :)

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

If you had only one funding source...and it was full (at limit) you couldn't use your second card, or third card...THATS STUPID!!!

9. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

I think the benefit of the card is you can fund it with a credit card and not be charged a cash advance by your credit card company - which would hinder your chances of getting credit line increases with cash outstanding on the account.

BTW, Cobalt customer service is based in the Philippines. I would not trust their answers too completely. The office in Salt Lake City has more knowledgeable people.

10. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

Okay everybody,

I waited to post this because of too much weekend(too little time).

COBALTCARD & I have been going back & forth now for about 2 weeks attempting to bring resolution to a seemingly ongoing problem.When I obtained a card back in February, I set up 4 different funding sources.Until recently,it no longer lets you have more than 2 card at ANY given time(no problem.....just removed 2 cards).

Now,the kicker is that when you remove a source,& it confirms REMOVAL,their system does not COMPLETE the requested transaction. The reason I know this is after I finished talking w/USELESS customer service(that proclaimed that they did a trouble ticket 2 weeks ago but could not give me a est time of correction),I demanded a supervisor.

Well,a lady named Mary Sisson in Oklahoma City,Ok(from caller id)called me back & sent a e-mail to address my concern.She advised that they have had problems w/their systems(no kidding...especially when she read back to me 2 accounts that I deleted 2 weeks prior)& that this would be her 3rd escalation in response to my account.

I will update you again.

Sister Girl

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Would I be right in saying that one advantage to having this would be the following:

Say I am in Vegas (hehehhe) and I left my credit cards at home (oops)...I could fund the card from my source and then use it in Vegas. I could use it wherever Am. Ex is used, Am I right? Or,am I completely off?

12. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Just put hubby in for this..and they said they would need additional info.. anyone else have this? He's never had a bad Amex account so that is not a worry. You all every experienced this? Maybe it is our new address (their source may have the CO address, right?)

It's not a denial at all..it says we'll get an email outlining additional info needed.

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yes, it is probably the address. They use CRA to ID, if that address has not changed, it would be a problem.

breeze

14. SisterGirl

NanaC,

Did you put in old address or new ? The reason I ask is because if you are having cobaltcard sent to new address & your funding source still has old address....RED FLAG !

Believe me,it will be H-E-L-L to straighten out.

Lots of Luck...

Sister Girl

15. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok..they sounded like it would be no problem as soon as we took care of whatever it is they email us about. I guess we'll need to send a utility or something. Hope we can fax it! Hey, Breeze, thank you...

Our bank doesn't have a debit card so this solves a lot of problems!

:)

16. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I put in the new address...we never got to funding source. :) Ugh..hope it's not a big deal! Bummer!

17. SisterGirl

They have had lots of problems lately,but let me know if you need phone #'s or e-mail addresses(smile).

Sister Girl

18. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sister Girl, you're the best. They said they would email me in 48 hours..I'll keep you up-to-date.

19. SisterGirl

you are certainly welcome anytime to ANY information I have.

Sister Girl

20. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi - been traveling this week - sorry for the slow response.

You will get the Cobalt! They need the SS# and how you fund it and thats it.

cya it takes about 2 weeks to get it :) dogman