To: Dogman

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

When I Chapter 7 BK'd in 1998, my attorney told me to do Chap 7 in preference to Chap 13 as it appeared I might not work again after my injury. I was on disability and my expenses greatly exceeded my income. The BK court agreed and granted the BK. $100,000 in credit card debt disappeared along with my home.

Dogman, I hope this is not too personal to ask but why did you do a Chap 13? If it is too personal just say so and I will understand.

The reason I ask is that form your posts here, you reside in CA and had a medical problem just like me. You are probably the only other person here on the board who had to deal with over a $100K credit card problem.

Again, I hope i did not offend you with the questions here.

P.S. I used the California BK standard not the federal standard as it shielded my retirement assets.

2. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

AIDS. I was dying - B$ there were drugs.
    Diagnosed in 1986 because I had severe hep.
    I thought the Hep was goining to kill me - and so did my MD. Tnats when they tested me for AIDS. It was not a pleasant time and I rememeber ever detail.

I have fortunately had an EXPERT MD with a huge AIDS practice.

Doing well.
    Snap me - I am very fortunate - like yourself. :)

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Well Dogman, I have to apologize. I had gathered from your other posts here that you are ill and what you are ill with. Thank you for responding and I wish you the best.

Here is what I meant to ask: Why did you decide to do a Chapter 13 BK instead of a Chapter 7? My attorney informed me that if I recovered from my back injury and returned to work that I would be forced into a Chapter 13. The Chapter 7 Bk could only be done while I was on disability so I did it.

Later, good fortune smiled on me and I got a teaching job. I have recovered enough that I expect to work for another 20 years ( although in chronic pain).

Anyway, enough about your medical problems and mine. How do you feel about the chap 13 BK now? It appears that your "credit recovery" may have been assisted by not having a Chap 7 hanging over your head like I do. Your AMEX card is one card I never expect to see again.

As a side issue, do you plan on using Lexington or another attorney run firm to repair your credit after Junum has exhausted their attempt? I am in the 2nd round of Junum disputes now. I plan to use Lexington later in the year myself.

Best wishes - Jim