To Jamie -- Union Plus card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Jamie,

I haven't frequented the forum in a few days and I was looking over some of the recent posts. You had asked about Household Bank's Union Plus card and I wanted to respond. Sorry I'm late.

I have this card. The limit isn't great...$1500...but I think the card is a step above Orchard. There is a toll free number for customer service and Household Bank does provide a special web site for its Union Plus members. Paying online is an option and card holders can get a low-interest rate for balance transfers. Overall, the interest rate isn't great, though. I got 18%. But, as I said, you can get a much lower rate if you want to do a balance transfer.

The way I got the card was through one of those pre-approved offers. Whether this is a sub primer I'm still not sure. The good thing is there is no annual fee. I'm very pleased about that. So far, customer service has been good and I have no complaints.

Donna

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: To Jamie -- Union Plus car

Thanks Donna, my hubby was approved on-line for a platinum 5K limit. He is a union member. I couldn't find rates or terms anywhere on their site. It did say no annual fee and rates lower than the 10 top card issuers. (Which top 10?) I guess we'll have to see when the card comes. Cleaning up his credit is starting to pay off for him. We've done as much as we can to clean up his report. Last year the only cards he could get were secured low limit high annual fee cards because of incorrect information being reported. Thanks again for the post!! I'll keep you informed.

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Great, Jamie, I'm glad to hear that your husband's credit restoration is coming along so well.

So he gott a platinum, huh? I'm impressed! I just got the classic but maybe I can work my way up, eventually. The interest rate he got is probably much better than mine.

Take care and do keep us posted. I'll be interested in hearing more about your husband's Union Plus card once it comes. I too am a union member and I'm sure that's why I was contacted.

Donna

4. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Two years ago, he was flat out denied for this card. Last year he was offered a secured card. Didn't go for it then. Glad we waited now!!! I'll keep you posted.

5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Donna

Well here's a kicker, I called Household about the Union Plus card and Interest rates. He guy tells me that their rates are competitive. What is he paying now? 20.9 I said. He said, Oh, then we'd deffinately be competitive with that, our rates are variable. We could save you some money on balance transers. Do you believe it. I hadda laugh!!!!

6. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: Donna

Jamie,

It sounds like the rep was pretty vague. I would certainly hope Household could do better than 20%!

If you need it, you can probably get a good deal on a balance transfer. I got 2% on a $300 balance I paid off on one of my Capital One cards.

7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but they'll have to do better than that. I just transferred all our balances to BofA at 3.9 for 6 months then 9.9.

8. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

hmmmm....You did get a great deal with bofa on your balance transfers.

Maybe the Union Plus card won't be that advantageous for you and your husband, especially since you already have some prime cards with good interest rates.

If your husband is still wanting to do some credit polishing, then maybe the card could come in handy. He could use it occasionally and pay immediately. But, if not, perhaps this is a card he doesn't need.

Even though the interest rate wasn't the greatest, I took the card because I felt it would be beneficial. Eventually, I'm hoping to upgrade.

9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Well, we'll take this one and keep Aria at a 0 balance. The only thing on that was a $20 charge and the $59 annual fee.(already transferred it) Its only 2 months old. His limits are way lower than mine, so we'll use it to build on. The Aria is only 1k at 23.9% so this is better anyways. I'll let you know when the card comes just how much the interest rate is.