To Jason @ AMEX

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by chriscraft, Mar 29, 2001.

1. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Jason: I don't know if you have seen it yet, but I directed a post to you earlier today regarding my obtaining a green AMEX card. Please reply as soon as you have the chance. Thanks much!

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I have a similar question. I had a AMEX gold card from 1981 to 1995. Always paid on time / never late. I voluntarily cancelled the card because I did not use it that much.

In 1998, I had a Chap 7. Bk due to an injury. I discharged an AMEX Optima gold card with about $15,000 on it.

Yesterday, I got my legal settlement (the injury) in the mail.

Does it make any difference to AMEX if I prove what caused the BK? I ask this as my BK was not frivolous in any way. I am 40% disabled for life due to the injury, however I work and make a satisfactory income.

Thanks

3. Michael

Michael Guest

Best site to get Jason is at Cardweb.com he hangs out there more!

4. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

Yes, it can help what the cause of the BK was, but they will probably still hold you to most of the balance. Just ask Dogman on his experience.

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey Buddy!

I am sure you must pay the entire whole balance.

I also may have gotten the Card, BUT, my whole intent
    in calling AMEX in the first place was simply to pay off that old $1700 debt I ran up in college and never paid off. YEA - it was NOT reported on any TRW - but it was the
    one thing I still had not made right.

I paid the balance, and an Acct Mgr helped me obtain a new Green Card, with a Chap 13 on my reports. I explained
    medical reasons, etc, and she approved me. I have exceptional respect of the power of this Card.

I do not think AMEX is going to offer or help you get a card if you simply went Chap 7, then - automatically - ever give you a card again - even if you do pay it back.

I have also read posts about the Secured Optima Card -
    they decline you for that if you've ever stiffed AMEX.

$15000 is a lot to pay back - but that's your answer.
    cya dogman