to Jim:Capital 1

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by LKH, Feb 16, 2001.

1. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I submitted the pre-selected app through the automated phone system on Tuesday. I called Capital 1 today for the status. They said I was approved for the visa gold with 0% interest thru Sept. 2001. Don't know what the loc is yet. All of a sudden I've been getting pre approved offers again. I hadn't received any for months and now I've received 6 in the last 1 1/2 weeks. It's been about 2 years since any negatives have appeared on my reports so I assume my scores must be going up? any thoughts?

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

First off, Congrats on a number of topics:

Your Cap One approval

You are on-line with us

And - No Bobby!!!

Regarding Capital One, I really do believe that they have a card for everyone. After you receive your credit card you might want to call Cap One and ask if you can have a 2nd card. That is if you want a 2nd card. In my opinion, Providian and possibly MBNA will preapprove you you for a card within months. The reason for this is that I believe their credit screening of card holders will identify you as a Cap One customer and they will want to get you as a customer.

What happened to me was that I received one Cap One offer in November 1998, I applied and got the card. I applied for my BK within days . I feel that my credit rating had dropped to the point that Cap One identified me as a prospect. You have probably risen to the point where you are a prospect. I got a few more offers after my card was approved. Then the offers stopped.

One preapproved no fee MNBA offer arrived in 1999. I threw it away as I was disgusted with credit cards. Providian offers began arriving in the mail a couple of months after I started using the Cap One card. I ignored them until Jan 2001 when I got the $3K gold card. BTW, the first Providian offers were terrible.

In conclusion, I think the marketing arm of Cap One has not been informed that you are now a customer yet. The Cap One offers will stop shortly. Decide if you want a 2nd card or wait for a Providian / MNBA offer.

Good luck.

3. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I think maybe you misunderstood me. I have several credit cards. I had a Providian about 2 1/2 years ago but closed it as I was disgusted with the constant calls trying to sell me something. But for some reason, Cap 1 would not give me a card until this offer came along. I know gold doesn't have the status it once did, but a 0% til Sept. isn't bad. So based on the recent influx of new offers, although none are prime - yet - I believe my scores must have taken a jump lately.

4. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I agree with you LKH. I believe your scores have taken a jump also. Capital One does not offer deals that good very often. I'd go for it. Good luck!

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Yes I did misunderstand you.

I also think that your credit scores are rising.