To Kristi, Lizard King and oth

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Steve A, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Steve A

Steve A Guest

I am quoting a letter from the collection agency I am suing Financial Assistance, Inc in the State of Washington to the guarantor of the student loans NELA who tried to rip me off. This should be of interest, and I could use some feedback especially relating to legal citations. I had asked for a copy of my student loan file from the collection agency and billing records on my account.

"Mr. Anderson wanted to know why we did not give him the file information when he first requested it...my response was that he was not privy to it...if he wanted proof of debt and record of hos account we would do it...Gus sent it...he states he never received it. *Note, that we have had difficulties in the past with knowing his address. Represented that it was a law that we keep copies and that if he mailed something certified to us that we have to respond in like time...told him that it was not a law if we had to keep copies of everything we sent we would have to acquire more space."

I know that collection agencies have the burden of proof to show they responded to inquiries on accounts. Can a telephone record notation count as meeting that requirement, or do they really have to keep a copy of their response? What is the legal citation. I mean, what can I quote as the source for this law? You see, now it is a matter of fact and all that remains is a question of law, which means I can move for summary judgement on this count (a minor one all things considered).

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: To Kristi, Lizard King and

Steve,
    When I was having my problems, I called the FTC. They told me that student loans are different. They didnot say how or why but they basically said that exceptions were made for student loan collections. They told me the Dept of Education would be my best source of information on this topic.

Plus, NELA is a guarantor agency NOT a collection agency per say. There is a difference. They are usually somehow connected with the original lender and the government when dealing with GSL programs.

That is what I know. YOU have been at this quite a while and should know more than me on the subject.

I thought your suit was with equifax for the R5's and 9 balances incorrect reporting error.

roni

3. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Actually, research indicates

Actually, research indicates that you are probably exactly right in what you are saying here.

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Actually, research indicat

Given the fact that Student Loans are virtually SOL/BK-immune, I doubt a validation letter would have any legal significance.

Saar

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Actually, research indicat

Thank you Saar! That is what I was trying to get at in a way. YOu said it in one sentence. Furthermore, my lender had no problem providing my promissory notes. I just hope Steve wins!

roni

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Lizardking.

They are fighting b/c STeve is challenging the way that equifax reports ALL student loan accounts not just his. All sl collection accounts are reported as I5/R5 or 120 days late even when they are paid and are no longer late. They have to change that practice inorder to be in line with the FCRA and reporting only accurate information. So he is getting the run around. They will probably say that the lender knows what that means.

As Saar mentioned student loans are SOL and BK proof. They are also 7 year report proof if unpaid. They also can be reporting as multiple entries (as per the bureaus and the FTC). They say that the creditors will know that it is actually one entry reported multiple times. WELL, nordstroms didnot know that 2 months ago when I called and ask why I was denied. Borrowers have an disadvantage when it comes to student loans and it is not smart to clump them in the category of other collection debts.

roni

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Lizardking.--also

TU and EX report defaulted student loans as a collection and when paid, update them to a paid collection.

Equifax report defaulted student loans as a collection (I/R9) and when paid, update them to R5 -not paid but still 120 days late with a 0 balance. It doesnot make sense. AND Who knows how this affects the scoring system.

roni

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Response?

whatever. Oil and Water just dont mix.

roni

9. molly

molly Well-Known Member

R5=

Revolving (payment amount variable)+ Pays or paid 120+days past the due date; or collection account

10. molly

molly Well-Known Member

Re: R5=

That was taken directly from "how to read your file" that accompanies your Equifax credit report.

11. Steve A

Steve A Guest

Thank you all for responding to this. Some of you got the point, kind of, everybody else totally missed my question. Financial Assistance is a "collection agency" by definition. NELA is a guarantor (creditor), but also a collection agency. The 9th circuit court of appeals ruled in Brannan v. USA funds that student loan guarantee agencies under the FFEL program are collection agencies.

But my question was about Financial Assistance. They refused to give me my billing records at first and then claimed to have sent me a letter showing them. However, I never got it and they admit to not keeping a copy. So, the question is about burden of proof. Isn't the burden of proof on them to keep a copy of what they sent me? Right? What case law can I point to? Keep in mind that I got the stuff I wanted, but only by subpoena. So, now I just want a ruling stating they violated the law, but not giving me the billing records I wanted. Steve Anderson

12. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Revolving (payment amount variable)+ Pays or paid 120+days past the due date; or collection account

I think the word "PAID" is the how they get away with reporting these accounts, incorrectly in my opinion.

13. Steve A

Steve A Guest

Of course, it must be paid 120+ days past due. But that is not an updated status. The status must be reflected as updated.

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Actually they change R9 to R5

That sucks. First they rate it as a charge off and then they change it to the R/I5 notation "pays or paid 120 days late".

I dont know what to think of it.

roni