To Lizardking

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by once38, Mar 26, 2001.

1. once38

once38 Well-Known Member

Could you post some of the details you alluded to yesterday about eliminating debt and avoiding bankruptcy by moving etc.Is this at all related to the Due Process website?

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

So you think that the more aggressive you handle the debt dispute (against creditors, collection agencies), then the chance of getting judgement is less? My SOL will be expiring around 8-9/97 for all of the debt.. do you think I should wait, or start disputing and telling the creditors/collection to validate?

3. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

"so that you cannot be served with a lawsuit"

So you are trying to avoid paying what you owe by moving? Right? Moving so they cannot find you? Please explain, as I am a little confused.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Why not settle your debts like the rest of us?

5. Shell

Shell Guest

I agree Chris, this board was meant for helping people build/rebuild their credit correctly. I am sorry but using these creative tactics to avoid paying what YOU clearly charged is just too much for me. Most people here have tried to settle their debts the honest way and have paid dearly for it, but some have gotten out of their credit obligations and even though their credit may look better than the person that went to right route, it doesn't make it right. This board seems to be geared toward "how to get out of paying your debts" and that is SAD.

6. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

What's the sight that has the SOLs listed for each state? Also, with the SOL, does it depend on the state where the debt was incurred or what?

7. N'awlins

N'awlins Guest

I have a judgement om my TU dated 05/96, but I was never served. I was wondering why it only shows on TU. Should I dispute it? Can I still vacate it? It is only for 454. Should I pay it?

8. Shell

Shell Guest

I am sorry correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you posted a fews threads back that you had credit card debt and decided not to file BK but instead to let your debts charge off and then found ways to have them removed??? If I am mistaken I do apologize, however if that is what you did I find this completely wrong. Most people here have minor accounts here and there that they just couldn't pay, but purposely letting your debts go and then have them removed is just wrong!

Am I the only one on this board that see this??? I can't be the only one that finds this wrong?? Come on people

9. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Whatever... Real people, and people with morals, and integrity settle their debts, and do not run away from them.

Certain people on this board are the reason the new bankruptcy laws are being passed. People are using the current laws as a way to live beyond their means, and then dump it when they wake up and realize they are not on Fantasy Island.

Yes, I have debts (i.e., car payment, mortgage)... If I was to get lazy, and irresponsible I could file Chapter 7, and not have to pay a penny more, but I would not violate the principle.

These people cannot destroy your life without your help (i.e., you first getting into debt in the first place, and not paying what you owe.)

The reason you have to wait so long for the mark to be removed is the equivalent of a criminal having to serve their time, for breaking the law. You miss your payments, and then you do not pay. Your punishment is having that mark shown for X number of years. This is the way it isâ?¦

If you want no punishment, then be a responsible person, and pay your debts... Or better yet, live within your means, save money, and do not charge anything on a credit card that you cannot pay off in two months. If you cannot pay it off within two months, or better yet, when your bill arrives, then you cannot afford it. This is why I only use my Amex charge card.

10. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

To Shell

Shell,

What LK said was that he lost his job and, at the time, had accrued quite a bit of debt. Getting back on his feet took a while and, when he did, his new job paid considerably less than what he was making previously. As a consequence, he couldn't keep up with all of his financial obligations and he didn't see any hope of ever catching up.

Filing bankruptcy wasn't an option, LK said, because his credit would be trashed for the next ten years and paying off his existing creditors seemed hopeless. His solution was to let his old debts charge off, hide from his creditors until the statute of limitations had expired and then start disputing with both the bureaus and colection agencies. In the end, his efforts were successful.

And I have to agree with you. This is something I couldn't do personally and I've been in that place where bills were piling up, collectors were calling and the financial part of my life seemed pretty hopeless.

Eventually, the balance in my checking account started to increase and my financial situation started looking a little brighter. I knew I was going to have to take what was coming in and stretch it as far as I could

What I chose to do was tighten my financial belt and start paying. I lived like a pauper for a while but eventually all of my debts were paid. Regrettably, I didn't know anything about debt negotiation, so I wasn't able to get any of the negatives removed from my credit reports in exchange for payment. After everything was paid, I began the credit-repair process.

What I did was best for me and I'm comfortable with my credit decisions. LK did what worked for him, too. I don't agree with his methods but he certainly did learn how to manipulate the system. Credit wise, he's further along than I am but I'll keep plugging away. I'm just grateful that my financial picture improved and I was able to make what amends I could with my creditors. In the end, LK did what he had to do and you and I have done what we needed to do as well. Each of us has to do what's right in our eyes.

Donna

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: To Shell

Re: To Lizardking
    Author: lizardking (---.tampabay.rr.com)
    Date: 03-27-01 07:24

I am never late now on anything. However, I disagree that I should be screwed for 4 more years because of something that happened 3 years ago. The 7 year rule is too much. It should be more like the SOL of 4 years.
    ==================YOU ARE 100%Right " EXCEPT The max. for ALL NEG. Info. should be reduced to 3 Yrs.

WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE 3 YEARS AGO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CURRENT RECORD ;THUS HAS NO BUSINESS BEING IN YOUR REPORT !!

12. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Donna

That is exactly my feelings on the subject, I have tried to stay off these particular threads, but if I had to explain my feelings towards it, they would be just as you worded it.

Mom:)

13. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re: Mom

Thanks. I appreciate your words of support.

I was reluctant to say anything but finally felt compelled to jump in. We've gotta discuss the morality issue at some point because it does factor into the credit repair process.

Donna

14. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Donna

By the way have you heard from AT&T yet??

15. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re

Yep, news wasn't good. AT&T must not have checked Transunion.

That's okay, though. Naturally, I would have liked the card...benefits fit my needs...but I don't need the credit. I can always try again.

Donna

16. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: Re

Sorry Donna, I guess you would have posted if it was good news. But you are doing just fine right now and in a few months they will be begging for your business:)