To: LKH & Others

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

LK,

I read your thread about "the board being watched". I have a theory...

Think back. - Remember a long time ago when we were in chat and I mentioned that I never post from my own computer. I use someone else's computer that uses a paid service for internet access. If you are using a free service like Juno - they may be selling your name and information to others. That is how they stay in business.

My understanding from my attorney friend, is that only law enforcement with a court order can find out who you are from a paid service like AT&T or Verizon etc. A court order cannot be issued for a frivolous reason.

My suggestion to everyone here is to use a hotmail E-mail address. Don't use your real name and address if you plan to sue anyone. Also, use a paid internet service or go to the library etc. Or use one of the anonymizer sites to scramble your ISP.

If you are just here to learn about credit and no lawsuits are intended forget my advice. Who cares anyway.

Jim

2. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

wow, aren't we getting a little overboard here guys???

but if you need a good site to cover you tracks. use www.safeweb.com

free and good.

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Randy!! We need help here!!

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks Leo!!

Interesting website.

As you said, it is important not to go overboard here.

Jim

5. Saar

Saar Banned

If you enable it, anyone can send you an e-mail from the board, but they don't know your e-mail address unless you reply from your own one.

Saar

6. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

We need a major disclaimer barring CRA's from using individuals information posted on this site.

7. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

jim, that overboard comment was actually directed to the LKH thread.

So how do you like safeweb? I use it to goto sites that are blocked out by my companies firewall. Very effective, no trace back to me either. lol

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Leo,

I haven't used safeweb because I don't own the computers that I post from.

Your comment about not going overboard was a reasonable one that I totally agree with. It was good for me and everyone else here to view your comment.

Of course - LKH is the one we all are concerned for.

You and I are not involved in a lawsuit - He is.

I seriously doubt PBM has let TU know who LKH is but PBM will have respond to our security questions when he/she sees them.

Jim

9. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

odd thought

Planet feedback works because companies do not want their dirty laundry aired. When it is, they at least want to be able to say that they have addressed the issue.

Perhaps over the long haul this board may have a major impact in how credit reporting is handled. Just by constantly helping people address the issue.

The power of the internet is its ability to spread information .. both positive and negative, of course in our case with an absence of malice.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PBM would answer ONLY to a "COURT ORDER"...

11. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I sell ASP delivered software to big companies for a living. We often, especially in the early demo stages, run into stubborn firewalls that won't let our software through without major tweaking. I can't wait to try it out.

12. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Hey Jim, isn't this a load? Maybe I'll change my name here to crahater. But, I am not using a free ISP and I use hotmail for email. They probably just matched up a letter I posted here to one I sent them.

13. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

LKH,

Yes, it is a load.

Thanks for the insight.

BTW - I appreciate you telling us about the situation.

Jim