To: Marie Re: Target

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I saw my Experian report today. Yes, as we discussed Target only reports the high balance.

When I have time, I plan to visit the local Target store and ask the customer service rep. if I may speak to the credit dept. over the telephone in the store.

If I get that far, I am going to see if I can get them to report the limit. If the answer is no - there is always the alternative of running up 1 large balance and keeping subsequent balances low.

I believe someone, long ago on the board, said the reporting problem is limited to EX. TU and EQ supposedly show the limits.

Any ideas or an opinion?

Thanks - Jim

2. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

Hmmm...strange, Target reports my credit limit on all three reports. I'd ask someone about that.

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Fingrrl!

Yes, it is strange. I had heard about this problem here on the board before. But I had to see it for myself.

Thanks - Jim

4. brad

brad Well-Known Member

I just read in the paper this morning that Target is launching a new smart chip Visa card.They claim it will be available this fall,and that all current cardholders will automatically be changed over.I think I might get a Target card?

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hey Brad!

I heard the same rumor here on the board a short while back. When I get a chance to visit Target about the credit reporting issue, I think I will ask about the possible conversion to visa.

This may indeed be a good time to get a Target card. BTW, they pulled EX on me. I live in CA.

Best wishes - Jim

6. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Hi,Jim, Just applied for the Target card,was approived online for 300 available now.Don"t really know if I should have gotten it or not?

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Congrats Brad!

I like the Target card regardless of whether it gets a "smart chip" in the future.

This is one retail card that I can use every month to build credit for a few years.

Let us know about the credit reporting to the CRA's.

Best wishes - Jm

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I got my Target card last month and they pulled Equifax. I live in CA as well. I think they go strictly on your credit score because I had paid negative information and 1 unpaid outstanding collection for $1300 and still got the card w/ $200 limit. My credit score is around 607.

9. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Re: To: Jim

Thanks,I"ll let you know when I pull my files again.I won"t do that for 2 or 3 months.It get's costly getting a credit report too often!

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi MP$40!

I remember that you got the Target card as I did.

Congrats!!!

Your comment that EQ was pulled for you and EX for me is a good reminder that when it comes to the CRA's - Nothing is consistent.

Of course, CA is kind of unique as 34 million people live here. Not exactly Rhode Island is it? LOL!

11. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well, my target is only on 1 report, no limit, too new to rate. I'll give them another month and then I'm calling.

12. Cadillac408

Nope.....not exactly Rhode Island! :-D

There was a previous post a while back regarding Target and who they now pulled. I guess something happened and they started pulling Equifax instead of Experian. Remember the story about the guy that always applied for Target so that he could get denied and get a free copy of his report and then one day he applied like normal and was APPROVED! Come to find out that he was approved because Equifax was used and not Experian. That's why I went ahead and applied because I was under the impression that they pulled Equifax now (which they did) and that's my best report right now....Follow by TU then Experian. Interesting....

Oh, and by the way....my friend applied for Nordstrom so she could get a free report (she's embarking on the credit repair journey) and Nordstrom pulled ALL THREE on her.

13. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

MP$40,

That was Saar, as I recall, who was applying to get denied and get a free credit report. Then he got approved. LOL

Sorry to hear about your friend and Nordstrom!

14. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Marie,

I am in my 3rd billing cycle. If that means anything. Not sure that it does.

Again, I only saw my EX report.

I'll keep you posted. I just have not had the time to call the Target credit people YET.

15. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I inquired about this at work today, and found out that it is not only true, but every Target Guest Card holder will be converted to a Target Visa. As a matter of fact, there are certain test markets that are already doing this.

As far as Target Visa no longer being a store charge, don't fret. It will be like the Wal-Mart card, or K-Mart card where it is primarily a store charge and a small credit limit for non-store purchases.

16. Saar

Saar Banned

MP$40,

That was me indeed, but I don't believe I was approved just because they pulled Equifax. My 3 reports are virtually the same and show no negatives. I was approved simply because at that point in time, my score was high enough (though not prime back then).

Saar

17. Cadillac408

Thanks for the clarification on that.

18. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

This is just a side issue since I mentioned Saar by name. My understanding is that he is building excelllent credit. He is not in the position of rebuilding or restoring credit like myself after a catastrophic injury.

If I were building excellent credit like Saar, what better way to check my progress than to apply for the same card (Target) at regular intervals.

19. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member