To: Marie

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by S.D., Feb 6, 2001.

1. S.D.

S.D. Guest

I just want to thank you for all of your useful tips about Providian. I also have a question for you...

I have had the Providian Gold since 11/00. In 12/00 I asked the rep if they would be willing to negotiate the terms because I had a better offer, but would like to stay w/ Providian.

She was very nice and transfered me to Retention. I was able to get my APR reduced to 21.9% from 23.99. He said that I would need to establish myself w/ them first, so call back around the 5-6 month mark to get more negotiating done.

Next month, my increase should be coming. I will act as if I never received the offer in the mail, and ask for the increase by phone.

Here's my question: I was thinking of calling them during this month and asking for a lower interest rate. By requesting this reduction, will they not give me my increase next month since they have already done something for me? I'm sure you have posted the answer on this board somewhere, but I would like to be absolutely sure before I make any moves.

Thanks in Advance!
    Sachiko

2. on the go

on the go Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone w/Providian today was upgraded in oct. to gold, they lowered my interest rate when they upgraded me to 19% asked to speak to retention went right past cust. service asked if I could have my interest lowered because I have better offers and they told me that was as low as they could take me with my card I would have to wait for offer to come around again (Ive never seen one.) Good Luck ,I just dont seem to have it when it comes to Providian.

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Interest rate has nothing to do with line of credit increases. Go ahead and ask. Is this your only Prov card? If so, you haven't had it very long but I'd still try. Tell them you have a friend who has a card at 16.9 and she's only had it for 4 months (ME). While you've got them on the phone, then ask about the annual fee (I got the 1 time per card rebate).

As an aside: how much are you using the card. Frankly, I am using my credit cards for everything and then mixing my paymemt amounts around. With Prov, I spend 500-1000 a month and pay anywhere from 250-1000 a month (Hint: they get a lot of interest from me even at 16.9) so they want to keep me. If you haven't been using the card.. start.

Now, here's another reason they may have helped me so much. If you have more than 1 Providian card (or if you also have an Aria card and a Providian card) right now they have a BIG glitch in their website. You can only register 1 card. Yep 1 card. So one or more card can't be looked at, paid, or anything on the website. It truly is very frustrating for me (I have 2 Prov and 1 new Aria) so I have to use the phone system for 2 cards (and I'm on the internet 10 hours a day...) So I called nicely upset about this and got annual fee refunds. It's a great trick since it really is an issue. If it applies to you, use it! Have fun!!!

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Call 1-800-215-7318 (directly)

They've been very helpful to me. Also a "retention" number. I'd say just keep trying. I'd call every month until you get it down to 16.9 (that's their lowest rate) so you do have a "good" rate w/them.

Another bargaining point might be (if you have more than 1 account) that their website won't register more than 1 account. I've gotten a lot because of this.

IF they don't go down on interest rate, ask for an annual fee rebate. Sound a bit frustrated but be nice. Always works for me.
    I'm really persistent. I call Cap1 every month or 2. They say no lots but every 3rd call I get something. Just be persistent :)

5. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Thanks Marie!

I do use the Gold card often (only $500 limit) and carry a balance. I try my best to pay off the balance each month, but it doesn't happen. I bring it down a lot, but they still make money off of me.
    I also have the Aria Persona and after having the card for about 2 weeks, I asked for a lower rate. They wouldn't budge. The retention supervisor asked me to give them a chance and if I knew about the 500 or 1000 increases they give after 4 months. He said the fee for the increases can be waived.

I will try complaining (nicely) about only being able to have one online acct. It's frustrating for me also to not be able to access my Aria acct and make quick payments. I will try your techniques!

Thanks again =0)

6. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I don't have an annual fee for my Providian card. (At least I don't think I do...we'll find out this month, it's the 1 yr mark).

7. Shantel

Also Marie,
    Is your Aria secured? I was thinking of getting one, but I don't know. Is it worth it?

8. S.D.

S.D. Guest

RE: To: Shantel

Aria doesn't offer a secured card.

They have the Persona, Portrait and Platinum.

I have the Persona w/ $250 limit, no grace, $89 annual fee. I think they offer better Persona rates, but it all depends on your credit. I just started building in 11/00. I took the offer, hoping to negotiate the trems over time and also for the positive tradeline. They offered 0% for two months when I applied, but since I've had the card for 2 months already, my next statement should have 23.99% as the rate.

Aria does instant online approval, and seems to be easy to get. It's just the rates that turn some people off.

9. Shantel

To S.D.

Did you actually get "instant approval" or was it one of those, "we'll contact you in a few days" deals?

10. S.D.

S.D. Guest

RE: To Shantel

I was approved in about 30 seconds. It took about 2 weeks for me to get the card after I had sent in the $49 processing fee. So far, so good.