TO MP$40 Regarding AMex...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by newcomer2, Jul 16, 2001.

1. newcomer2

newcomer2 Member

Hi MP...
    As you recall, I had the same situation with Amex regarding me Secured card as you do. Well I call them today and guess what, there is no record on that preapproval at all at the new accounts departement " the only thing was a notation by the rep that says customer recived new product, but no application and no card are gonna be sent out. after Talking to a few reps and trying to find out exactly what was this joke, She told me that this most likely happenned due to the fact that I canciled my secured optima that day and that i should have waited for the other card to arrive, Something along those lines, they will get to me tomorrow about what's going on, she also stated that these accounts had so many problems and obviously this is one! I asked them to reinstate the account. Unfortunatly for me though A rental car company bill that the insurance refused to pay posted to the account and had me go over the limit !! so I disputed the charges and plan on filing a small cliams suit agianst the insurance company. This incident has complicated the situation even more for me . So let us know how your upgrade goes and did you cancil the optima or not ? any info would be appriciated. Good luck ..
    Hope it works out for you...

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

WTF??

Now I'm sick!

I knew it was too good to be true! I asked the rep if I should cancel my account and he said to wait until I receive my new card, then call back and cancel. That is what I planned to do.

What number did you call to find out this info?

3. newcomer2

newcomer2 Member

Re: WTF??

Hi MP
    I got this info from all of their departments, New accounts and Centorion included, You should be fine if you didn't cancil you card. the best thing to do is call thier number and check the status of your app. all you need to do is put in your social, if you have an application on file that means you got it .
    Goodluck mp40
    Hope you get the card

4. Cadillac408

Re: WTF??

O.k. here's the remix ....

Called talked to Optima rep and the same thing happened to me. Long story short, he spoke with a application rep, explained the situation and then had me apply. He said that with my current relationship (secured Optima and Corp) and my prior relationship (AU on Gold Charge w/ average spending of $2k/mo and $12k in charges in 6 months) that the rep said that would definately be a factor and that I should get the card. After we did the application over the phone, it didn't not give her instant approval! BUT....it didn't deline either. Said that further processing was needed. I asked her if that was a nice way of saying that I was denied and she said NO! That if I was denied, it would of said so ASAP! I know this to be true because when I applied via phone in April it was declined instantly!

Who knows....whatever. I'll keep you all posted. I'm really upset about his. The rep (conversation was RECORDED) promised me a Gold card and that it was in the mail! What a joke. I told the rep that and at the end, he recorded our conversation and went over everything that we talked about. He also threw in there that the previous rep who I talked to stated that I was going be receiving a Gold charge card in the mail in exchange for not terminating my relationship with Am/Ex (I was to close the Optima after receiving the Gold charge). So it's all documented.

5. Cadillac408

Also...

Called the application status number and they have not received my application yet. They only had the one on file from April. She said that it can take up to 24 hours for them to receive. Guess I'll call back tomorrow. <sigh>

6. newcomer2

newcomer2 Member

Re: Also...

so sorry to hear that MP. I was shocked to with the new. So sad Amex can't creat a compitant secured program that actually converts to a non secured . Belive it or not I have had that secured card since 97, and nothing has changed, a review once a while on my report but nothing came through. I will definatly give them a compliant through planet feedback and see how it turns out. Wish you the best with your new application.
    good luck ..

7. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

What is incredible is how much MONEY they made on YOUR secured funds for the Optima,& now they are virtually "throwing you to the dogs".I used to have a higher opinion of them,but it certainly has changed within the last 6 months.

Sister Girl

8. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club!... I had an optima secured for 15 months, when I called (in june 2000)
    to unsecure the card. They told me to apply again, so I applied for the optima platinum,
    I was denied, then I called to the Centurion bank and a CR override the decision and sent
    me a new optima(not Opt platinum) unsecured card with $1,000 limit.

I received my deposit back and began to use the new account. Perfect payments, no late or overlimit, etc. At the 9 months mark I called to ask for a credit limit increase and was told that my card was unable to receive increases. Called again at the 1 year mark...same response
    so finally I close the account last month!!.

9. Cadillac408

Called this morning....

Just got off the phone and they have received my application and it is currently being processed. I guess it's under some sort of review? Who knows...

The rep has my work number and will call me with updates on my application.

I am extremely bothered by the whole secured Optima program. I can't express how deeply disappointed I am.