To Saar/Dogman

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JacquiG, Mar 25, 2001.

1. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Hi, I need to ask your opinion since you know so much about Amex's policies:

My Blue account was opened on January 5th. A few weeks ago, I received a book of transfer checks that I can use for 9.9% until paid off. It said they expire in June 2001, so I called today to see exactly what that meant (assumed June 30th). Well, the rep couldn't find any record of AMEX having sent me any checks, and didn't really tell me anything. I asked him if that's standard for all new cardholders, and he said no, only those who are qualified, but he didn't know what to tell me.

Have you ever heard of this? Should I call back and speak with someone else? I don't want to transfer a balance at 14.99%!! Fortunately, I have some time to figure this out.

Thanks...

2. Saar

Saar Banned

One of the problem with big companies such as Amex, Citi, and the like, is that the customer has to find his way in a huge bureaucratic labyrinth. Up to date, to maintain my Amex account, I had to speak w/ reps in the following departments:

1. Speacial Handlings
    2. New Accounts
    3. M.O.R.E.
    4. Customer Service
    5. Consumer Retention
    6. Credit Bureau Unit
    7. Amex Centurion Bank (for credit increases)

The result is having reps who have limited knowledge on anything beyond the focus of their particular department. Your offer was probably sent by Amex Marketing Dept., and so the CS rep was clueless about it. Bureaucratic systems are to some extent disorganized, it has its drawbacks but there also lie the advantages: I can now say I have the world's best credit card, far beyond what my score affords: Blue 9.9% with $8.5K-limit (I'm still a full-time student), world-class Customer Service, no annual fee, BlueLoot points, Best Value Gurantee program which already paid me money, etc.

Jacqui, in my book, staying w/ a 14.9% APR card when you could easily convert your Blue to a 10.9% card, is a crime. When I say "easily", I mean it may still require 2-3 phone calls, and in extreme cases, 4-5. What are 2-3 toll-free phone calls compared to a card product that's so much better than what you have now?

Saar

3. JacquiG

Saar,

Thanks for responding. I guess you can count me as one of those people who are just so glad to have anything, they'll accept anything...to a point. My original Green acct was closed in 1989-1990, but I did pay it off shortly after that. When they offered me another one in Dec of 99, and then approved for Blue last January, I was just beside myself. I just now got them to give me Sign & Travel, but I still can't see my BlueLoot points, no matter how many times I call! So help me here; what am I supposed to tell them when I try to get the 10.9 card? What would they look for? Thanks again.

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Just call CS, say you want to "product transfer" from the Blue 14.9% to the Blue 10.9% (They don't call it "APR reduction", in their system it's a totally different product).

The chances of being approved by the CS rep are zero to none :) That is why you may want to ask to speak with a supervisor (or a "Leadership Team member", as they're called). Be nice but persistent. If still no go, call again, this time ask to speak w/ the Consumer Retention Dept. (open during business hours). Unless the computer strongly resists the idea of giving you the 10.9% rate, you'll get it, eventually.

Saar

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi all - Saar answered that one. I will go for BLUE at my 1 yr Green Card anniversary.

CYA Dogman

6. JacquiG

Thank you both.

7. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Just be careful, because after a month an a half, they switched me back to my higher rate, and their "leadership team member" was told me they weren't allowed to switch me in the first place, and that was why my account reverted back to 12.99. She said there was nothing she could do.