TOO MANY CARDS..WHICH ONES SHO

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bgolden, Dec 1, 2000.

1. bgolden

bgolden Guest

I HAVE RE-ESTABLISHED CREDIT THIS YEAR. THESE ARE THE CARDS I HAVE. I WANT TO KNOW WHICH ONES SHOULD I CLOSE AND WHEN? SOME ARE FAIRLY NEW SO IAM THINKING THE YEAR MARK WILL BE BEST. BUT HERE THEY ARE.

PROVIDIAN 1/00 500
    CAP 1 3/00 200
    1ST NATIONAL OF BROOKINGS 6/00 375
    1ST PREMIER VISA AND MASTERCARD 7/00 250/250
    CHEVRON 7/00 200
    CAP 1 10/00 200
    ARIA 11/00 1000
    PROVIDIAN MASTERCARD 11/00 1000
    I KNOW 1ST PREMIER IS GOING BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK OF 1ST NATIONAL BANK OF BROOKINGS, DO THEY GIVE GOOD INCREASES? LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS. THANKS

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: TOO MANY CARDS..WHICH ONES

Dump any cards that carry monthly fees.
    those suck.

Then get rid of the other ones once the renewal yearly membership comes up, a free ride on good credit, is always worth brownie points.

You may want to try getting a citibank AAdvantage, if you got all of those unsecured. They give good credit lines, and no BS.

3. Dee

Dee Guest

I can't believe you had the Providian card every since January and you never got an increase.

4. bgolden

bgolden Guest

ME NEITHER, I THINK MY BALANCE IS TOO HIGH, BUT AFTER CHRISTMAS I'M PAYING IT OFF. THEN MY INCREASE WILL COME BECAUSE I HAVE PAID EARLY AND MORE THAN MIN BALANCE.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Any card beyond the first two on your list diminishes your score. You have way to many revolving accounts, and way too many of them were opened recently. They were obviously preceded by at least a dozen inquiries. Those are 3 score-killing factors, each signaling potential creditors that you're a huge credit risk.

Sure, closing the other 7 accounts would increase your debt-to-credit ratio, but Providian's rapid and generous increases will compensate for that. You could also try to combine the two Providians and the two Capital Ones.

Also, if your accounts are in good standing, call Providian and Capital One, ask to speak with Retention, and insist on a credit increase right now for the oldest cards they gave you. You should get it.

Saar

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I personally do not accept any cards under $5,000! But in your case I would dump all under $1,000 if they won't jack up the credit line to $1,000 minimum!!!

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I would keep your oldest tradeline meaning Providian with 500. I would definetly unload 1st National and First Premiers, I don't think I'd keep Chev or cap 1's.

Mom

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

That is very hard to believe you got no increases. Are you making sure your payments were ontime? Did you ever call and ask for an increase?

roni.