Toothman vs. Providian II

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Toothman, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Toothman

Toothman Well-Known Member

Hello, Everyone!!!

In my recent battle against Providian, who is currently reporting to CRA's on a monthly basis that I have a $344 debt to them, I have run up against an obstacle.

The CRA's report that I opened an account with them in January of 1996 and stopped paying in May of 1996. I didn't quite understand secured cards back then because it seems like I deposited approximately $250 dollars with them to get a card.

The trouble is that I barely used the thing and now each month my reports are getting slammed by these guys.

I requested validation and received something in the mail from them. It was a copy of a statement dated March 1996 and showed usage of $79.35 (half was their annual fee) and a total available credit of $245.48.

Here is what I think they have done. They took my deposit and gave me a card. They then have whittled down all of my own money over time and have continually charged me fees and such to get to this $344 figure.

What should my next tactic be?

It is unfortunate that I am in this situation but I hardly ever used the card, moved soon after and probably forgot I had the silly thing.

What I want is either a rehabbed card or for the issue to be corrected.

What should I do?

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think I would request a copy of the account history. See what it all is. They are paying out now for misdeeds that led to a class action against them. It might pay you to see what the charges have been over all this time.

3. Toothman

Toothman Well-Known Member

Good idea, Breeze! I will do that. Should I also state that I'm disputing the amount so that there will be notation to my CR?