Total min payments on cards??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Now I realize you list your min payments for the total debts you pay out when getting mortgage, but somebody told me even though I may have an account with a ZERO balance that I will still have to add the min payment for those accounts too?? That's seems strange to me but just curious any truth to that??

Thanks
    Mom:)

2. river

river Well-Known Member

RE: Total min payments on car

Don't know that answer,but I do know that just about every mortgage lender has different criteria. Will this be your first home that you will be buying? It will probably be best to get Pre-qualify for loan either FHA oe even HUD. Coventional mortgage loans are better suited for the couples that aren't blood related like myself and other half. Did you or hubby qualify for VA loan? Find someone locally such as builder and inquire about builder loans and etc...and go from there. AND Always have an amerization profile done with 30 year mortgage -vs- 20 year mortgage and see the difference and you'll see that monthly payments will not differ that much,in other words,opt for 20 year instead of 30 and save lots in interest. And don't forget to have your taxes and insurance included in payments.Saves time and money in long run and don't opt for no kind of balloon payments what so ever. Check into all of these things.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks RIver, yes I was prequalified for Freddie MAc but now I am gearing towards FHA, the lender seems to think we will have NO problem, just waiting to hear more on Monday. But that just bothered me about min paymenets, I have 4 accounts with ZERO balances and if that is the case they are outta here.

4. river

river Well-Known Member

Wise decision and also open a intert savings acc't,if you don't already have one,and build your capital for your down payment.Hav to show that n e way.Liquidate any assests you have that could pull yur score down.

5. credit wis

credit wis Guest

If you are going through FHA for a mortgage.Yes they will count it as spent money even if you have a zero balance because they don't want to see you get into financial trouble with any creditor.Just having 2 cards is enough with no more then 5K combined with both cards.

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Credit Wise

So essentially whatever balances are ZERO, that is money we COULD spend, ok I see. So it's best to close any and all with 0 balances??

Mom

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I think that is right mom. It is potential debt. That's another reason to close any unneccessary accounts.

roni,

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Guess I got some phone calls to make:)

9. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I agree with the above posters. Even if your balance is zero it is treated as potential debt, however, I purchased my second townhouse in 1994 with lots of outstanding credit debt and close to $150,000 potential debt. Most lenders are more interested in your debt to asset ratio, not your potential debt to asset ratio, of course I have only had 1 30 day late payment to my credit history in over 20 years, so that may have counted for something.
    Bottom line, if you are not using this credit accounts close them, you will be able to open new ones relatively easy once you are a homeowner.

http://www.creditsense.com

10. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks all, I will take your advice and close these puppies on Monday, or can I do this over weekend or does it have to be during business hours?? I know some bank reps are open 24/7 but not sure about all?

Mom

11. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Personally, I would wait

I would talk to the lender first, and ask them if they would like the accounts closed. If they want them closed, you can close them that day, and you just need to bring proof that they're closed before closing. You don't need to wait for them to be reported as closed on you're credit report. That way you don't need to close the accounts unless you have too (unless you want to close them now), and you will be able to get proof that they're closed before the loan could close anyway

12. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Personally, I would wait

Thanks Marvin, I had a few I planned on closing and others I wasn't sure about. I will talk with lender on Monday and see what they think first before I go any further.

Mom

13. credit wis

credit wis Guest

RE: Credit Wise

Only close the ones you really don't need.Having aleast 2 cards with 2500.00 each would be safe because min-due payments wouldn't be any higher then 150.00 max.So FHA will approve you with a lower amount of availible credit.

Have a good day