Totally off-topic, how to know

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MOCAFEEN, Oct 17, 2000.

1. MOCAFEEN

MOCAFEEN Guest

I know this is totally off-topic and has nothing to do with credit, but I thought some of you smart people here might know the answer to this, so please forgive me. Does anyone here know how to find out if someone is dead? Specifically, is there a way to do it online, and even better, at no cost? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    MO

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Totally off-topic, how to

Would this be a current death MO?? I know you can check out several sites about obituaries, not sure how far back you can go though. I found a good site for obits and AskJeeves.com

3. MOCAFEEN

MOCAFEEN Guest

Mom,

I don't know how current, to tell you the truth. My ex-husband seems to have disappeared from the planet (no loss), and the only way I used to have to track his whereabouts was his mother. I wouldn't care much about keeping track of her, either, but she *is* my kids' grandmother, so I'd kind of like to know what to tell them if it comes up. I recently called her number for the first time in about three years and it was disconnected. There aren't any new listings in her name, either. At least not in her city. She isn't the type to move and leave no forwarding number, but it's possible she moved quite some time ago without my knowing. However, she would be in her seventies now, so it's also possible that, well, you know...

What's that site for obits you were referring to?

Thanks for the reply,
    MO

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I found it at AskJeeves.com, i just put in obituaries and several sites come up. Good luck

5. Spice

Spice Guest

Try here:

http://ssdi.homepage.com/index.html

It is the Social Security Death Index. I used it to look up realtives when I was researching my family history. Hope this helps.

6. rolo

rolo Well-Known Member

try yahoo,altavista and excite and click on people finder.

7. MOCAFEEN

MOCAFEEN Guest

BINGO! Thank you, Spice!

8. MrBelvedr

MrBelvedr Guest

Try asking the dead person if they are dead. If they reply to you then they are dead. If they are very quiet then they are probably still alive.

The only way I have figured out how to do this online is to go to a chat room and chat directly with somebody. If they are dead sometimes they just say LOL all the time.

Another way to do it online is to do an internet search for the word 'cemetary'. Then you can go to the cemtary near your area and there are a lot of dead people there. They are dead if they are in the ground and not on the msg board for creditnet.com 24/7 like me. So anyways good luck in your pursuit of finding out if someone is dead

;)

9. MOCAFEEN

MOCAFEEN Guest

Okay, Mr. Belvedere. I asked him (out loud) and he did not answer...so he is definitely not dead? Right? Or... oh nevermind. :)

MrBelvedr wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Try asking the dead person if they are dead. If they reply to you then they are dead. If they are very quiet then they are probably still alive.

10. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Check out some of the geneology sites. Many of them have links to the Social Security Death Index. I'm not sure how to link to it directly, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to find out.

11. MOCAFEEN

MOCAFEEN Guest

Thanks, Doris. Actually, I have already linked into the SSDI, thanks to some other posters here who pointed me in the right direction. I knew I could count on you folks to know this kind of thing. :)

MO