Trans Union a third tier player?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by blackie, Aug 5, 2003.

1. blackie

blackie Well-Known Member

I'm interested in other peoples' experience with TU as a credit bureau. I find their reporting to be far and away the most inaccurate of the big 3. And I find my credit card companies no longer even report to TU whatsoever.

I'm in the process of contacting my creditors one-by-one and requesting they update my relevant info to TU. They tell me it can take 60 to 90 days. Is this also true!? I've seen Equifax update in a matter of a day or two. Any faster ways?

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Well, if you dispute it thru the CRA's they only have 30 days :) - but you always risk deletion of a good account :(

3. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that none of your credit cards report to TU, but if so it's a great opportunity to customize your credit report. Choose older accounts with lower balances, only as many as you need to look good, and ask ONLY those banks to report your accounts.

I'm getting excited already...

4. blackie

Well, what I mean is that the credit card companies stopped reporting new info about a year ago. The accounts are still listed, but with woefully out of date information.

I just got an MBNA recently, and they don't report to TU at all!? Experian and Equifax are current and accurate. But it appears some financial institutions like Chase and Citi (for me at least) have stopped utilizing TU on a regular basis.

5. klingsor

klingsor Well-Known Member

Actually, I've found almost the opposite. They were the friendliest by far to me, the easiest to dispute with, and the most organized. For example, instead of having that inane system where each report gets a separate number you just get a file number that never changes.

In my experience, Equifax has been the worst, sticking me with baddies out of nowhere and deleting virtually every account I ever disputed with them. They're the only ones who've picked up my student loans though.

Experian is by far the best when it comes to reflecting your credit history the way it really is. They're holding on pretty tight to some old installment accounts I have whereas the other two bureaus deleted them in a heartbeat.

To give you some idea, I should have about 45 accounts listed on my credit history if everyone reported things accurately b/c that's how many I truly opened in the past 10 years. But after all the deletions (all of them by CRAs failing to verify) the situation is:

Experian reports 22 accounts
    Transunion reports 17 accounts
    Equifax reports 11 accounts

Clearly none of them are terribly good at it.

6. blackie

Thanks for the perspective. I also happened to call TU today and found them to be rude, so it all must just be a roll of the dice.

7. breana902

breana902 Well-Known Member

I have found that equifax has been slow to add my new accounts. As far as inaccurate reporting, I have found them all to be on par with the inaccuracies. Where I live, it seems like equifax is rarely pulled.