trans union & equifax

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by missi, Apr 21, 2000.

1. missi

missi Guest

I found out today that trans union and equifax had two people listed under my ssn. One was me of course, the other was a person who has been using my ssn to open accounts and then not paying them off. Had anyone else had a problem like this with trans union or equifax. I now have to prove to them that I am the owner of my own ssn. Experian was the only one that was not a problem.(so far)

2. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

How did you find out about this scammer?

3. missi

missi Guest

I found out because a debt collector was trying to collect a bad debt from someone who is/was using my ssn. I was getting mail for this person at my address because when they used skip tracers they got my address because of my ssn, but the mail came in the other persons name. I called this particular debt collector and was told finally that they had gotten a credit report from Trans Union back in Feb. 98 with all these bad debts with this persons name but my ssn. I have since gotten credit reports with my name and ssn and all are good with only my history on them. I called Trans Union and found out about the two accounts and they are supposed to be fixing it. I also called the other two CRA'a to see if they also had done this and I found out Equifax had done the same thing but not Experian.
    I also received a credit card application for this person at my address from Cross Country Bank and I called them to see why they were sending it to my address in someone elses name and I found out that they had given him a credit card in Nov. 99 using my ssn. I have had nothing but trouble from CCB trying to straighten this out. From reading this board I find that is no surprise.

4. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

I have read on this board that some victims of ID theft have encountered huge problems requiring years to straighten out. If you are unfamiliar with the ins & outs of credit, it's reporting and it's repair then I would make this suggestion; go to carreonandassociates.com and get educated. If you are unable to get the matter straight on your own you can hire them to help you at reasonable rates. I am no expert, but I am afraid that you have a serious problem.

5. Credit Ran

Credit Ran Guest

Carreon is a good source also see www.vcr.org look up the section on identity theft. Good luck
    C.R.

6. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

I recall a story on this several years ago on 20/20. A woman had her identity stolen and spent a number of years trying to convince the Credit bureaus that the items involved were not hers. After NO success with the CRA, she contacted her states Attorney General and solved the matter within a few weeks. While filing a complaint with the FTC is a start, going straight to your AG is a better move. Moreover, if the CRA do not fix the problem, they can be liable for your damage to your reputation and credit worthy standing.
    Get a letter out to your AG pronto, priority mail with delivery confimation.

missi wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I found out today that trans union and equifax had two people listed under my ssn. One was me of course, the other was a person who has been using my ssn to open accounts and then not paying them off. Had anyone else had a problem like this with trans union or equifax. I now have to prove to them that I am the owner of my own ssn. Experian was the only one that was not a problem.(so far)

7. missi

missi Guest

I have been fortunate so far that my credit is OK. I just have trouble understanding how Trans Union and Equifax can have two different people listed under one ssn. I also don't feel that me, the victim should have to do all the work to get this whole situation resolved. Even though my credit history is fine I still feel that I am somewhat of a victim because someone is using my ssn to obtain credit and because of skip tracers, my home has become the target of debt collectors either through the mail or through phone calls. I have thought about contacting my attorney generals office, now maybe I will. It is overwhelming making all the necessary calls. My only saving grace is that this person is not using other personal info.

8. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

I have also had the same trouble with trans union...i know first hand(i used to be a collector), how crroked and stupid they are.

they(transunion), had listed me and my 2 brothers under my sin because of the same last name. It took me about 2 minutes and a half veiled threat of a lawsuit for fraud and slander over wrongfull/neglegent reporting of credit records is enough to have consumer services breathing down thier necks and locking all thier files during an investigation for a long time...
    Chances are that it is another former collector or an employee of a credit reporting agency that is responsible for the act of (virtual terrorisim).

Jamie.

9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Please read the postings about ccb...
    this is another branch of the now defunct(bankrupt) maryland bank of north america...
    it is little more then a scam...they send "pre approved" cards, to anyone at anytime...it is illegal but they do it anyway....ignore ccb...and mabey even threaten them with "civil action", for not researching and defaming your ssn and identity...

10. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Hi Jamie,

It appears that the Canadian branch of TransUnion shares some of the same failings commonly noted.

From what I understand the CRA's (Equifax and TransUnion) don't have nearly the power nor the the freedom to sell information at will as is common here.

Since you've had personal dealings with them perhaps you could explain why this branch hold inquiries on record for 7 GASP years (don't ya love it MichaelOH). Which is kind of ridiculous cause they keep practically every other type of information (collections, bankruptcies, legal items) for the same amount of time versus Equifax Canada's 6 years for collection and 3 years for inquiries.

Guess they don't have to conform to a uniform code or regulation.